Cheap Restoration Project Ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The coupe floorpan is different from the saloon, alas I can't find any links for the necessary bits.

Good luck with the project, any questions just ask!

Thanks for the replies. I will get some photos up when I start a restoration thread. I need to get in the missus's good books again after the shock of a project car turning up!

Darn I was coming to the conclusion that the floor pans were the same!! On the EPC it lists the same part numbers for the coupe as it does for the sedan - a1156160967,
a1156161067 left and right respectively...??? So is this the part number for the sedan or for the coupe?

A quick question, what did the 280ce come with as standard equipment?

Checking again, the part numbers for the W115 saloon and the W114 coupe are the same - I had clicked on the W114 limo in error.

Can't say what it came with as standard. As a MB of that period, it might have had seats and a steering wheel, with everything else optional....

Great stuff, so I think I can find most parts available online from UK or Germany.

It seems you are right CM, the 'basic' model came with very little. I found this article http://stroke8.org/autocar280CE.html , a review from back in the day.
Looks like mine is quite well spec'd, I have the original bill of sale and cost £5857.60 and it states that it has: Auto Transmission, Power Steering, Metallic Paint, Tinted Glass, Electric Sunroof and Electric Windows.

Hopefully I should get time this week to make a start stripping things out and uncovering the extent of the rot!

Good evening!

Well I managed to get a couple of hours in the garage today :bannana:.(Not much free time just now, as I have a 9 week old).

All I did was get a look underneath and have a poke around really to see what I am dealing with. There is quite a bit of rot which I expected, but I think it is definitely salvageable. The exterior is not too bad really, few rust holes here and there and obviously the arches and rear lower panel.. There seems to be a lot more rot under the car, all the floor pans need to come out for a start. Front drivers side chassis rail is corroded and needs repairing.
I need to strip the car now and get all the underseal off etc to fully see the extent off it.
I have a new MIG on order and I am really looking forward to getting stuck into this, which will be my first proper full bodywork restoration! :eek:

On a positive:
The engine starts first time,and sounds really smooth.
Interior is not ripped and looks like it will clean up nicely.
Electric Sunroof, 3 out of 4 windows, windscreen wipers all work. (Blower does not).
The boot floor seems pretty solid, looks like it will need a few small patches fabricating.

Heres a few pictures, I did try start a project thread but it would not let me, do you have to have a certain post count or something to start one?
Excuse the mess of the garage at the moment, I have just had an extension built on my house so I currently have a garage full of building stuff and all sorts! I am getting a garden shed to put it all in so I have more space to work on the car!!

Attachments

• IMG_0676 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0676 (Large).JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0677 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0677 (Large).JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0680 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0680 (Large).JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 29
Quick question, what is that in the last photo???

Attachments

• IMG_0682 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0682 (Large).JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0687 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0687 (Large).JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0692 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0692 (Large).JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 29
To get a project thread ask the moderators (the contact us button at the bottom mid right on the page).

If you enjoy welding you are going to be happy for some time! Take the front air intake grille in front of the windscreen off (punch in the rivets) and have a feel around at all the joins - that will give you an idea of the bulkhead state, the area with most hidden rust.

I thought it may be the sunroof motor but I imagined that would be under the headlining somewhere not in the boot!

Ok, well when I make a proper start on it I will most likely start a project thread.
Yes the welding I am actually looking forward to, its a new challenge for me! Should be a pro by the end of it!!

I have just picked up my first tool of the project today, an eBay bargain! Engine crane for £40! Old heavy duty one with proper seperate hydraulic pump and ram. Just needs a lick of paint!

Floor pans are similar as the carpets are interchangeable between coupe and saloon. Things like sills are also interchangeable with a bit of modification.

Can anyone shed any light on the below picture? Is something missing?
Thanks

Attachments

• Cluster.jpg
    Cluster.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 24

Indicator for early cars with column change only.

Oh right thanks for that. So Its normal for it to be just blanked off like it is then?

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom