Cheap Tyres v. Expensive Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris1200

Car
2008 W211 E320 CDi Sport
I always buy cheap ones. They have never let me down (so far) and I don't see the need to spend hundreds on tyres when I can get them much cheaper.

For example........today I got 2 new 225/55x16 tyres fitted and balanced along with a puncture repaired in one of my other good tyres. Pleasant service from a local chap. Total bill.......£114 all in.

My driving style does not require the so called "superior" tyres that say Continental, GoodYear, Michelin, Bridgestone etc. on the side. I drive sensibly in all weather and I imagine I will buy these or similar tyres again in the future.

What's your preference??

..i would say hello or somthing first!!

oh boy, here we go again....

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

On second thoughts.....maybe it's unwise to start a thread about tyres because I'm quite sure someone will have beaten me to it............about 1000 times!

I always go cheap and there good enough for me... maybe im not driving hard enough?

depends on what you drive and how you drive it.
if you buy and unrefined dull performance motor then you are daft buying premium tyres, if you drive a 500bhp car sportingly then your daft not too. That is my opinion really.
My van has budget tyres my sl60 and s600 has premium. I had cheapos on the s600 once and the only noise in the cabin was tyre noise, now with premium tyres the noise is all but gone, plus traction doesnt come on so much.

Cheap tyres have less grip and are noisy. When it comes to making an emergency stop i would prefer to use the best tyres for the job.

I drive quite a few cars over a month. Some are fitted with cheap tyres some premium. There is a difference.

agree with olly is noise and grip the difference. In the van when there its like 100 db at 70 mph regardless of tyre choice it makes no difference, neither does grip as you dont drive a vehicle thats 13ft tall fast.

What's the worry guys, you can only die once (or live twice if your surname is Bond)

Bottom line, shopping car is fine on cheap tyres but any decent car that's "driven" needs to be on tyres that provide good performance for the price, end of. A mid tier tyre that is 50% to 60% the price of a premium brand can deliver 90%+ of the performance most of the time..

Hope that makes sense..

try putting a cheap tyre on one front wheel and an expensive tyre on the other. (This is perfectly legal in the UK but not elsewhere)

Then go out to a deserted stretch of road and try an emergency stop at about 50mph in the wet and see what happens.

I recon you'll have serious doubts about buying cheap tyres and you'll not mix brands on the same axle ever again.

Over the life of a tyre the price difference is marginal, whereas safety (particularly of the family) is priceless.

There's plenty of tyre tests that show poor quailty tyres don't perform as well - why would anyone want to scrimp on tyres :dk:.

Last edited:
What are we talking cheap here?? Nankangs or whatever they are called or Falken or Kumho who actually make very good tyres that are what I call cheap.

developer215 said:
Over the life of a tyre the price difference is marginal, whereas safety (particularly of the family) is priceless.

There's plenty of tyre tests that show poor quailty tyres don't perform as well - why would anyone not want to scrimp on tyres :dk:.

My thinking also, save a couple of hundred quid and pay with a loved ones life? If I couldn't afford decent tyres then I wouldn't run the car.

My thinking also, save a couple of hundred quid and pay with a loved ones life? If I couldn't afford decent tyres then I wouldn't run the car.

So why the cheap tyres are made in the first place?
For peolpe who cannot afford to run their cars??

i paid my local mobile fitter £450 for 4 conti sport contact 2's (MO) including fitting and balancing...

245/45/17's...

Premium tyres, always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom