Cheap V8 Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSB SL AMG

MB Enthusiast
Car
300SL (R129 1992 pre-facelift), Volvo V70 SE D5 Auto Geartronic
A Passat W8, never heard of it:confused:...i think the commentator should definitely audition for the next series of TG;):D

[YOUTUBE]8P2Fpkm6y_A[/YOUTUBE]

Yep, import actually for sale on trader...

Volkswagen Passat 4.0 W8 4Motion 4dr

The W8 engine

Volkswagen-W8-engine.jpg

There is a W configuration V12 engine produced by VW and put in the Bentley car. It wouldn't surprise me if this engine is put in a passat similar to stuffing 5 litre V8s into many Mercedes medium sized cars.

Apparently its half a Veyron engine without the blowers.:eek:...the Bentley engine you refer to is the W12 6L which originate from the NA VW Phaeton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W12_engine

There is a W configuration V12 engine produced by VW and put in the Bentley car. It wouldn't surprise me if this engine is put in a passat similar to stuffing 5 litre V8s into many Mercedes medium sized cars.

Last edited:
Passat W8 - it's a famous sleeper.

Another rarity, up there with M5 Estates and the Ferrari engined Thema 8.32

Ideal for those of us who like a swift Familywagen:

Here's a Pistonheads eulogy for it from a few years back:

Spotted: Volkswagen Passat W8 4Motion | PistonHeads

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Howmanyleft.co.uk steps in again!

Passat W8 = 108
M5 Estate = 130 (BMW does list body shape in the model descriptor, unlike Merc)
Thema 8.32 =8

I understand you need to have a spare gearbox to hand for the autos. Manuals are like hen' s teeth.

A Passat W8, never heard of it:confused:...i think the commentator should definitely audition for the next series of TG;):D

That's a bit weird - this clip showed up in my suggested clips before I visited the forum this evening (last time being yesterday on my home machine).

I watched it - that W8 sounds weird. You can tell it is not a proper V8.

These were on the radar when I was looking at C43s, about 10 years ago. Although kind of tempting (I do like a Q car), apparently the engines are horrendously complicated, and so rare even VW doesn't have mechanics trained up to work on them.

Gave it up as a bad job, the M113 in the C43 is well supported and pretty bombproof anyway..

Cheers,

Gaz

These were on the radar when I was looking at C43s, about 10 years ago. Although kind of tempting (I do like a Q car), apparently the engines are horrendously complicated, and so rare even VW doesn't have mechanics trained up to work on them.

A few years back VW were completely unable to diagnose a severe but intermittent 4Motion drivetrain vibration I had on a low mileage V6 Sharan I'd owned from new. I even took it to a main dealer in Germany with no luck. If it wasn't a 1.9 TDi FWD they were stuck.

So I wouldn't want to have any kind of problem with a W8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom