Cheaper than a refurb - Alloys on Ebay..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crammy69

Car
2001 W210 E55 AMG,2010 Fiat 500 1.2,2002 Triumph America,LML Star 125 DLX,1984 C70,2011 Thruxton
My W124 wheels are in dire need of a reburb':eek: , yet I've seen these which whilst 16" instead of my current 15" look almost identical. They mention a part number of 1294000102 which doesn't seem to be valid on Inchcapes site. At the current level looks like a better deal than refurbing my current ones, would these fit my car?

LINK

Cheers
Simon

Thanks Shude!, so they are 8.0J x 16 ET 34 - according to the chart on the sticky that size appears to fit a W124, but I'm not 100% sure as reading some older posts there seems to be a little disagreement on this....

Thanks Bolide, just about to look at that!

we've got those very wheels on our W124 estate

tyre choices are 205/55/16 or 225/50/16

the combination we've found the best is 205's on the front and 225s on the rear

looks a lot like this

16alloy.jpg

HTH

Andy

Last edited:
Looks very smart indeed! thanks.

I just looked at prices for tyres and blackcircles does a good selection for about £60 each fitted, so all in not that cheap, mind you I had to pay £45 fitted for some budget tyre at the weekend after I got a puncture, - hence getting up close and personal with my wheels a realising what rubbish state their in!

I like those wheels, they are a swine to keep clean but I think they suit the W124 really nicely.

For my money, the car feels better on 16's than 15's. It feels more "planted" and there is less lateral movement because the tyres are a lower profile.

Opinion is divided on the front tyres. I hated 225s because they are noisy, prone to tramlining and squealing horribly on full lock. I found that the 205's I fitted to the front solved all of the issues leaving me with a car that goes where it's pointed and doesn't suffer from road noise.

You are more than welcome to pop down (we're only about an hour from Sidcup) and take ours out for a spin before you go spending a load of money.

andy

Very kind Andy, thanks for that. I think I'll watch the auction and if there's little interest I can buy them, and then spend some time hunting a deal on tyres. Given the winter is upon us I think they would be best kept as a Summer/Show set.

Cheers

I like that style of wheel and think they look really good on a clean w201. should be good on a 124 also but they must be an absolute pain to clean. will you be bothered with doing that?

My W124 wheels are in dire need of a reburb':eek: , yet I've seen these which whilst 16" instead of my current 15" look almost identical. They mention a part number of 1294000102 which doesn't seem to be valid on Inchcapes site. At the current level looks like a better deal than refurbing my current ones, would these fit my car?

LINK

Cheers
Simon

The set on ebay provisionally "sold" for £255.00 !! Last time out..........+ £40.00 p+p.........bloke must have been mental or it was the seller bidding them up

Theres a Merc guy on ebay based in Trowbridge (morgana management) who have alot of wheels, maybe if only one or two of yours are knackered you can just replace those:confused:

Id agree with the 16" tyres comment, they are (or were) a fair bit dearer than the 15" ers

Theres a Merc guy on ebay based in Trowbridge (morgana management) who have alot of wheels, maybe if only one or two of yours are knackered you can just replace those:confused:

Id agree with the 16" tyres comment, they are (or were) a fair bit dearer than the 15" ers

Sounds interesting, just found a link, will give him a bell! cheers

Last edited:
I like that style of wheel and think they look really good on a clean w201. should be good on a 124 also but they must be an absolute pain to clean.

They're actually really easy to keep clean. Three ingredients:
Medium MF towel, AutoGlym Wheel Brush, AutoGlym Clean Wheels.
The holes are bigger than on the 15" versions, so it's easy to get the brush and MF towel on there. Had mine on 2+ years, love them to bits.
Mine are also Part Number 1294000102, and as that number suggests, they came off an R129 SL (500, iirc).

_MG_1374.jpg

W201_Night_5D.jpg

Thanks, but no!
It's certainly handsome, and looks fabulous in photographs, but has lived outdoors in central London for the past 4 years, and there are enough marks and dings to keep a bodyshop quite busy.
It's a daily-driver, 1.8 Automatic. 125,000 miles.
I adore it, my father bought it used in 1997 and it's stayed in the family simply by being so easy to live with.
If I were ever to go 'concours' with a car, it would be with a rarity such as a 3.2 AMG, or Carlsson C35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom