Cheaper tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
The S210 is in need of front tyres. It's easy to be snobby about tyres, and the one's it had on when I bought it are certainly of the cheaper variety.

I've found a Michaelin Primacy 3 at £133.40 each. But Kwik Fit's own tyre the Marangoni Verso comes in at £85.80 each. Nearly £50 a corner less.

I don't care about the name, as I'm keeping the car.

I don't care too much about performance - taking a view on it can't be a lot worse than I have, I don't drive hard, and as a driver I drive to the road conditions including available grip (I did once go really cheap on the Espace and regretted it - you could feel the tyre give when driving hard).

If the tyre is knackered through puncture within a year there's an extra warranty also.

So it's all very tempting. Should I resist, or should I save?

Tyre ratings are C efficiency, C Grip, 2 Bar sounds and 71db

Resist. You'll get much longer life out of the Michelins and proper comfort too, as well as much better grip.

Just fitted PS3s to my Alpina and the ride and handling improvement is phenomenal.

What size tyres are you looking for?
"CC" rating isn't too bad though - some premium brands are worse.

215/55/R16 w97...

I noticed that on some of the premium tyres. They one thing that over the years I've always had trouble deciding which way to go....

As you do a fair mileage, stick with Michelins, they will be very secure and cost less per mile.

I've recently changed tyres to some than are 3-4db quieter and the change to interior cabin noise is only just perceivable - even then I wonder if it's a placebo effect.

Depends upon the frequency of the noise.

I wish they'd include a rating for 'longevity'. It would make life easier! Conti's all seem to have relatively high rolling road resistance - mostly F's.

The difference between good and not so good really is 0.000xx pence per mile across the life of the tyre - get some decent ones.

The difference in cost is one tank of fuel.

Good point. I'm being tight because I'm ****** off with cars wanting money.

Mine want's a service/two tyres. BMW Want's a service + MOT coming up (not worried about MOT - should pass ok).

What do I do first?! Plus I've got to find the time to ferry them around the garages...

PS I'm doing the tyres first. Then the service on my car which will likely be just the MB Value service. Then the BMW service which is I think brake fluid and probably oil change.

After that I might have enough left over for a Domino's.

Good point. I'm being tight because I'm ****** off with cars wanting money.

Mine want's a service/two tyres. BMW Want's a service + MOT coming up (not worried about MOT - should pass ok).

What do I do first?! Plus I've got to find the time to ferry them around the garages...

PS I'm doing the tyres first. Then the service on my car which will likely be just the MB Value service. Then the BMW service which is I think brake fluid and probably oil change.

After that I might have enough left over for a Domino's.

Talk to Corned same car as yours and he had the same dilemma he is now running Lassa tyres at around £65 per corner (bridgestone made in Turkey) performing equally as well as the conti's and michelins he normally ran. If you need a contact to get them let me know I'll give you the supplier details :thumb:

I don't have an opinion on Marangoni Verso, but this is what Google found:

Sommerreifen im Test - Bilder - autobild.de

'Marangoni Verso... long stopping distance... not recommended by Auto Bild.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom