Cheapest Mod Ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
I was looking at the boot lock and to this day I've never used the mechanical key. So I thought to myself...

Before:
Boot%20lock%20open%2018SEP03.jpg

After:
Boot%20lock%20covered%2018SEP03.jpg

COST: Approx. 20p :D

S.

The dealer way:

Assessment of part requirement (1 hour @£75+vat)
Part (£103.50+vat)
Labour (2.2 hours @£75+vat)
Windscreen wiper blade that needed replacing (£25+vat)

;-)

May as well get that for mine, like most of yours I would put money on, it's seized up.

Might have a bash at it again though, after the dose of WD40 I gave it a few weeks back.

nice one Steve !

Fortunately for me, my boot lock is not visible . . . you have to put the key in vertically upwards to get to it on the estate. I never use it either, and it points down at a very interesting angle . . . . (you can guess what I'm planning to do to it although it won't be as cheap as your mod, Steve ;)) !!

S.

Originally posted by sym
nice one Steve !

Fortunately for me, my boot lock is not visible . . . you have to put the key in vertically upwards to get to it on the estate. I never use it either, and it points down at a very interesting angle . . . . (you can guess what I'm planning to do to it although it won't be as cheap as your mod, Steve ;)) !!

S.

Should the road behind your car "smile for the camera"?

yeah - good guess!

(Don't know how feasible it is on the estate, but have seen it on a saloon . . I think Tony's C36?, at the GTG.)

If anybody's done this, please let me know what sort of camera you used, whether removing the boot lock affects the central locking at all . . etc. etc. (I'll be getting a suitable device in the front with the necessary input for a rear-view camera, instead of the parking sensors that I was previously thinking of)

S.

@ J.,
I don't know the part number, I just went to Tom in the parts dept and said "can I have one of these please?" :D Part arrives tomorrow so the one in the pic is from my door handle and was only in the lock for 5mins for illustrative purposes ;)

@ Scott,
Hehe you know those poor dealers have to make a living somehow. :devil:

@ G.,
You too? Both my driver's door & the boot mechanical locks have siezed. I've also tried copious amounts of lubrication with the likes of WD40 and silicone spray etc. I can now fully insert the key blade but lock still refuses to turn on the driver's door and the boot lock won't fully accept the key blade so there's no way it'll turn :mad: The only lock that does work is the glove box :rolleyes: at least my RA can be safely hidden :) Heh I always carry my spare key in my briefcase. I dread to think how much lock barrel replacement would cost.

@ S.,
Great idea! Hmm now I wonder if COMAND would take a 'live video feed' ? ;) :devil: BTW there's a shop called Fineplan in Harrow, NW London that do some really tiny security cameras, my dad knows the guys there.

S.

Last edited:
A 210 766 0056

i bought one for the keyhole a few weeks back but didnt even think abt the boot lock!

well done steve!

my boot lock doesnt deadlock , think its stuck, might try and fix it when i have some time and a spare key in case it snaps!

The lock on my last car was siezed up on the inside, I haven't tried my current car yet.

New lock is about £120 from the stealership, but I was quoted only £100 to have the lock removed and the hole welded up and painted. Now that would smooth the tailgate nicely :)

...then the solonoid to open it!and a switch on the inside and wiring it.. more money no ;)

but yeah...smoothed tailgate would be cool!

Originally posted by Alps
...then the solonoid to open it!and a switch on the inside and wiring it.. more money no ;)

but yeah...smoothed tailgate would be cool!
I've only used the button on the boot to open it about 2 or 3 times, I usually use the release button in the cockpit or on the keyfob. One of the really useful things they put on facelift cars :)

Originally posted by Shude
I've only used the button on the boot to open it about 2 or 3 times, I usually use the release button in the cockpit or on the keyfob. One of the really useful things they put on facelift cars :)

Ditto :) Hence the cheapskate mod :D and even if the lock barrel cover is in place you can still press the barrel on the boot for a manual lid release, if desired. I prefer the remote keyfob release :D especially when struggling back to the car with loadsa grocery shopping, it can cause some stares from other shoppers though :devil:

S.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
...even if the lock barrel cover is in place you can still press the barrel on the boot for a manual lid release, if desired.
When you press the button, I think it still uses the solenoid, try opening the boot and then while it's open press the button and listen...you hear a mechanical/motor type noise!

funny that..mines got most of the facelift stuff, like front lights and all the switches and wiring, but not other stuff like the boot lid, and remote release!

its like its somewhere in between facelift and pre facelift!

used all the old bits that were left over!

weird!

funny that..mines got most of the facelift stuff, like front lights and all the switches and wiring, but not other stuff like the boot lid, and remote release!

used all the old bits that were left over!

weird!

An AMG special. I think it was when we were in the Netherlands, Steve aka MBenz was telling us about some wierd mixtures of old/new parts he had seen on AMG w202's.

Well, it's mainly because every C36 AMG model essentially started life as a pre-facelift C280 elegance, then AMG did their magic.

Also, not all parts were updated at the facelift, there was a security update in 1995 and suspension update in 1996, to name just two.

:D LOL maybe this might be another way to spot a W202 MBClub UK member.

The tell tale signs:
-Avantgarde Grill.
-Alloy "evolution" foot pedals.
-Covered boot lock.
-Bling bling mirrors.

:p

S.

Last edited:
door lock

Alps quoted the number A 210 766 0056 at the start of his thread i take it thats`s the part number for this little cover i mentioned a keyhole cover to my merc dealer parts guy in Glasgow (Vardy continental) and he had never heard of it however they have been very good with pedals and chrome gearshift surround the pedals i had to order but the gear surround was in stock, but i always feel superior when i have the parts number however small the part is..:cool:

These come in Packets of 5, so if anyone wants one, I've got 4 spare....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom