Cheapy Mobile Phone Recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartynW

Car
No longer on this forum
Feeling silly now: with the new car only hours away from being collected (pause for another woohoo moment), I set up the MercedesMe account on my PC and then went to get an app for my phone. But I discover it's too old apparently, so I can't use it - the Apple IOS version is not modern enough for the Mercedes app but can't be upgraded any further on that ancient model of iPhone.

I hate mobiles and don't take a lot of interest but I was looking forward to playing with the various apps and toys, so looks like I'll need a new phone that is good to go with the MercedesMe stuff. I'm on a PAYG SIM from O2 so all I want is a cheap smartphone that will make phone calls occasionally and more importantly, form a successful, lasting friendship with my new GLC. I don't care what else it does very much, nor what it looks like, or if it is one of those funny Chinese ones, so long as it works with the car.

So - anyone have any suggestions, please, preferably based on happy personal experience? :eek:

I would avoid very low spec. phones as it's likely that in a year or so they'll struggle to run the latest version of apps.

Our last few handsets have been Motorolas for around £100 (bought from Tesco), which we've been extremely happy with. They've consistently come out at the top of 'budget smartphone' group tests & reviews. Unlike many phones they run a standard version of android, so when a new version comes out you are automatically offered it (for free).

We have contract 4G sims (again from Tesco) that give 750 Mb data / 250 mins / 5000 texts per month, for just £7. You can choose to have them 'capped' to those limits (so you have to top up to use more), or just pay for any extra usage at the end of the month. Works well for us.

I'd like to recommend a Wlieyfox but I can't because mine is useless and going back for replacement a second time this week.

It's a shame as it would have probably been good for what you want and just £120 as well.

One plus One maybe or Moto G?

Which operating system would like?

If you are happy with the iPhone then get yourself a second hand 5S, just over £100 and should do what you need it to do.

What are the minimum specs you require for the phone (IOS and Andriod versions?)

I agree with bob6600,get on ebay and pick up a 5s they are cheap and will do what you want,best to stick with the iphone as you have earlier one,pain in the backside these new apps not working on a old phone.

If you can use a android phone have a look at a chinese offering it is called Doogee I know its a great name but these sub £100 phones are a match for the latest Iphones they are lightening fast and have everything on them,the cheapest one is around £55 and is better than a 5S still better the devil you know.

If you are happy with the iPhone then get yourself a second hand 5S, just over £100 and should do what you need it to do.

What are the minimum specs you require for the phone (IOS and Andriod versions?)

I've always got by with my wife's hand-me-downs but I really have not liked the Apple iPhone I have now and so was prepared to try something different. As for OS and specs, I have no idea. The MB site's FAQs are fairly useless and I've not had a response to my asking them that very same question. All they have is a list of a few (possibly) expensive phones, which isn't a lot of help if I am looking at an LG, for example:

Samsung:

• Galaxy S4 - system browser
  • Galaxy S5 - system browser
HTC:

• ONE (M8 2014 model) - system browser
Google:

• Nexus 5 - system browser
Apple:

• iPhone 5 - Safari
  • iPhone 5C - Safari
  • iPhone 5S - Safari
  • iPhone 6 - Safari

There you go Martyn:

iphone5 | eBay

Go for the 12 month warranty deals. All the above are O2. You may need to change your SIM card though.

Ant.

There you go Martyn:

iphone5 | eBay

Go for the 12 month warranty deals. All the above are O2. You may need to change your SIM card though.

Ant.

After they've done some head-scratching, MB Support have promised to call back with an answer about OS versions and so I'll do some more retail research, just in case I can get an Android thingy. That said, it does seem from your collective advice that the refurbished iPhone 5S option is a strong contender (thanks for the link, too, Ant). Much appreciated, everyone. I suspect I'll be sticking with Apple after all. It'll probably be a better option for music stuff too.

It is admittedly a bit odd that having spent an arm, leg and several other bodyparts on the car, I should be so penny-pinching about a phone! :doh:

Wileyfox Swift, or Storm if you need a bit more oomph. dual sim plus sd card. Incredible spec for the price. CyanogenOS so no bloatware and the ability to configure and every aspect of the OS and lockdown unnecessary app permissions.

I have a swift - such good spec for the price. It's good. Rave reviews too. 16Gb onboard, quad core, 13MP back camera, 5MP front, GorillaGlass

https://www.wileyfox.com/

Don't know much about the Spark tbh

It is admittedly a bit odd that having spent an arm, leg and several other bodyparts on the car, I should be so penny-pinching about a phone! :doh:

Not one bit odd. Everyone's different and has different priorities. Neither me or Mrs Ant are obsessed with phones. The odd text, the odd phone call and emails is all we need. Never bought a new up-to-date phone. We just get them off eBay as and when. (I'm still on iPhone 4 and Deb on 5s) we both have Vodafone contracts £9.99 pm.

I couldn't bring myself to pay a £50+ contract for a phone. :(

Good luck Martyn. Can't wait to see your new motor. :thumb:

We're the same Happytalk.

A few calls, a few texts and emails, maybe a small amount of data, all for £5 a month from Virgin.

As a Virgin Broadband customer we get the £5 (now £5.08) deal: unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB per month.

As for phones, I bought new Nokia Windows phones. Cheaper than used ebay iphones of uncertain legitimacy and an intuitive OS.

I've always got by with my wife's hand-me-downs but I really have not liked the Apple iPhone I have now and so was prepared to try something different. As for OS and specs, I have no idea. The MB site's FAQs are fairly useless and I've not had a response to my asking them that very same question. All they have is a list of a few (possibly) expensive phones, which isn't a lot of help if I am looking at an LG, for example:

Samsung:

• Galaxy S4 - system browser
  • Galaxy S5 - system browser
HTC:

• ONE (M8 2014 model) - system browser
Google:

• Nexus 5 - system browser
Apple:

• iPhone 5 - Safari
  • iPhone 5C - Safari
  • iPhone 5S - Safari
  • iPhone 6 - Safari

I am not an Apple fan either but if you do go that way then my previous post gives a perfect solution.

From your list, either of them (Android) are good enough. I have the M8 and should be upgrading it in the next week or so if you are interested.

I would not bother with the S4 as it is a bit old now, however the S5 is a good phone and again can be bought for a reasonable price second hand.

Nexus has good reviews too

OK just did some digging MercedesMe requires

Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone.

Requires Android 4.4 and up

Oh well, just cashed in a few more premium bonds and went for an unlocked refurb iPhone5S 32GB from a well-reviewed Amazon supplier. As I already have a load of stuff via iTunes, iCloud etc, there are some practical advantages I suppose and I don't have to face fear of the unknown.

My fave phone was my old Motorola V3 flip-top - good screen and big buttons and I could actually hear the thing. I suspect the wileyfox is a bit too radical and street for this particular old fart - it looked nice but I didn't understand what a lot of its features were for, so that sums me up!

MB just advised that Android 4.4 is the minimum for Connect Services (well done, Bob) but of course now that I'm sticking with EvilCorp USA, I don't need to know that.

Last edited:
Samsung S6 works perfectly with my GLC, it sees my contact list and txt messages, I can play music stored on it or stream music from the cloud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom