Check Brake Pad Wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tony1966

Car
Mercedes c250 CGI
Hi
Had check brake pad wear come up in the display.

Its under warranty so booked the car in to Mercedes for next week.

just drove the car and the check brake wear warning has disappeared.

Do you think its still needs to go to the garage?
Its a Mercedes approved used and only had it a month so imagine all brakes were checked before i took ownership.

Thanks
Tony

Yes, it's worth getting it checked. The pad wear should have been checked before you collected the car, but it could have been missed. It may well be just a glitch in the software but it's never worth taking any chances with brakes. If the pad wear is down then make sure they're replaced at the garage's cost. They're not normally accepted as a warranty item but the car shouldn't have been sold to you with little left on the pads.

As above, the PDI has missed worn brake pads which is unusual considering some dealers are quick to advise they need replacing long before they are due;)
I think the advise above is sound, and you should have every expectation the pads should be replaced FOC due to only owning the car a few weeks.

Does the pad wear light come on at 50 or 75 % wear ??

Bumping this thread.

I’ve just had the ‘check brake pad wear’ warning come on.

I bought the car last November 2021 - approved used with 25k on the clock. I’ve now got 33k on the clock. Is it realistic to expect brake pads to last more than 10 months on an approved used? I’m guessing these pads are on from new.

Is it worth trying or do I have to suck it up? I appreciate pads don’t fall under warranty.

Out of interest roughly how much to replace either front/back pads?

Thank you

Bumping this thread.

I’ve just had the ‘check brake pad wear’ warning come on.

I bought the car last November 2021 - approved used with 25k on the clock. I’ve now got 33k on the clock. Is it realistic to expect brake pads to last more than 10 months on an approved used? I’m guessing these pads are on from new.

Is it worth trying or do I have to suck it up? I appreciate pads don’t fall under warranty.

Out of interest roughly how much to replace either front/back pads?

Thank you
My e350 I bought with 11k now has 23k still on original pads . Still more than 50% left.

I'd be embarrassed to ask for free pads tbh. It's a consumable item. It depends how and when you brake . Motorway driving uses alot less braking than about town.

Fronts cost around from £30 to £80 plus fitting.

Rears maybe a tad cheaper.

Btw . The sensor can trip at 50 % material. It's a low warning ,not a get the pads changed today warning.

My e350 I bought with 11k now has 23k still on original pads . Still more than 50% left.

I'd be embarrassed to ask for free pads tbh. It's a consumable item. It depends how and when you brake . Motorway driving uses alot less braking than about town.

Fronts cost around from £30 to £80 plus fitting.

Rears maybe a tad cheaper.
Thanks. I wouldn’t be in the slightest embarrassed, I’ve had a nightmare with this car. The stop/stop didn’t work because the car was sold with a flat battery, the Adblue was an issue because it need nos sensors, it’s been in and out of the garage so many times with various other issues. The most unenjoyable 29k I’ve ever spent and I haven’t even had it a year. I’ve had more dents and scratches on this motor than I have combined in my other cars in the past 20 years! Only at the weekend on motorway a stone chip flew up and smashed the windscreen and then 1hr later I need new brake pads!

I guess it’s hit or miss if pads are checked and changed at 25k, I appreciate this is not a warranty issue.

Thanks. I wouldn’t be in the slightest embarrassed, I’ve had a nightmare with this car. The stop/stop didn’t work because the car was sold with a flat battery, the Adblue was an issue because it need nos sensors, it’s been in and out of the garage so many times with various other issues. The most unenjoyable 29k I’ve ever spent and I haven’t even had it a year. I’ve had more dents and scratches on this motor than I have combined in my other cars in the past 20 years! Only at the weekend on motorway a stone chip flew up and smashed the windscreen and then 1hr later I need new brake pads!

I guess it’s hit or miss if pads are checked and changed at 25k, I appreciate this is not a warranty issue.
Wow. If you didn't have bad luck you'd not have any at all.

Sounds like an unlucky car you bought there.

Sorry to hear that 😔.

Both an MOT and annual service will usually flag up an advisory way before the wear light comes on. In the absence of those flags, it seems unlikely that they are in imminent need of being changed. A reputable dealer shouldn't sell a car with badly worn brake pads. Even the likes of an Arnold Clark superstore replaced my front pads as part of the pre-sales inspection. For Mercedes not to do the same would be unforgiveable.

The obvious thing to do is look at them. As a start you can usually see the outer pad thickness without removing the wheels.

Does the pad wear light come on at 50 or 75 % wear ??
Normally the light comes on with about 2 or 3mm of useable pad left. In other words both blocks have been worn down and you are now in the main piece before the metal. Not sure which car you have but on the current crop of MB's the wear sensor is only on the UK drivers side. Could also be a broken sensor (allegedly this happened on mone when it was in for a service and the light came on mysteriously so they replaced it without phoning and asking. I asked for the old part so i could see where it ws broken but this too was mysteriously unavailable. I mysteriously omitted paying the €6.95 needed for a new one...

If you click on my Youtube channel on the link in my signature and look at the replacing E Class front brakes video you will see where the sensor is located and how much is lef ton the pad when it is triggered.

Both an MOT and annual service will usually flag up an advisory way before the wear light comes on. In the absence of those flags, it seems unlikely that they are in imminent need of being changed. A reputable dealer shouldn't sell a car with badly worn brake pads. Even the likes of an Arnold Clark superstore replaced my front pads as part of the pre-sales inspection. For Mercedes not to do the same would be unforgiveable.

The obvious thing to do is look at them. As a start you can usually see the outer pad thickness without removing the wheels.
The car has MOT and service last November before I bought it. I guess I need to check the MOT to see if there were any advisory’s.

As you said, I didn’t expect Merc to sell me a car with pads that need replacing 10 months later. The problem is the dealer is an hour away so that’s 2hr round trip even if they said they would change them.

The car has MOT and service last November before I bought it. I guess I need to check the MOT to see if there were any advisory’s.

As you said, I didn’t expect Merc to sell me a car with pads that need replacing 10 months later. The problem is the dealer is an hour away so that’s 2hr round trip even if they said they would change them.
I have to say I think your expectations are a bit high, particularly on a relatively low cost, wear and tear item. Avoid the angst, just get them done locally and move on?

I've known people get through a set of front pads in 6,000 miles and no doubt some in even fewer miles. Many others might have a set last 20,000, 30,000, 50,000 or more; there are too many variables that affect pad life.

The dealer might offer goodwill but I'd just have a new set fitted locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom