Check Engine Coolant? Bigger Problem!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauleo09

Car
2005 CLK 270
I'm new to the forum as I've very recently purchased a CLK 270. Loving the car but I've come across something a little concerning and this forum looked like the best place to query it!
The other day I had a malfunction notice asking me to check the engine coolant. When I lifted the bonnet, I noticed an oil leak from one of the hoses (images attached). On the "image2.v2.jpg" photo, the engine cover just above the hose is saturated in oil.
I'm wondering whether this leak is contributing to the malfunction notice I'm getting. I can't honestly remember the leak being there last time I looked, so I think it's quite new.
The car seems to drive fine (although there's slight lag when giving it a boot), which then seems to bring the notice up again. I'm guessing it's due to the turbo kicking in.
Just want some reassurance really. If I can get my hands on a replacement I'd have a go at changing it myself. Anyone have a type/part no.? Is it clip off/on? Don't mind getting my hands dirty, although it's a bit more advanced that the mk3 Capri I usually play with, ha!
Thanks for your help. Look forward to your responses (apologies if this is something someone else has already asked. I searched the forum but couldn't find what I was looking for).
Thank you

Attachments

• image1.v2.jpg
    image1.v2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 50
  • image2.v2.jpg
    image2.v2.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 53
Think thats the air inlet pipe from the intercooler radiator to the inlet manifold. Oil coming out there may or may not ?? not be significant as it means some oil is getting into the inlet further upstream. I imagine you are losing a bit of boost pressure. should be relatively easy to change but you will need access from underneath.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/114061-w203-cdi-270-turbo-pipe.html
I can't see a direct connection between this and a coolant loss warning?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment Grober.
The thread link you've added says the radiator has to be refilled after the hose has been replaced, I'm presuming that would be associated with the coolant malfunction.

That's definitely the air feeder. Coolant like loss would be totally unrelated to that pipe being split. A small amount of oil in those pipes is normal. A large amount is not and requires attention particularly to the turbo

Id deffo get the boost pipe replaced as suggested you will be loosing boost pressure if that pipe fails completly the engine will struggle to run. (its totallyunrelated to your coolent loss) tho.

Thanks for the comment Grober.
The thread link you've added says the radiator has to be refilled after the hose has been replaced, I'm presuming that would be associated with the coolant malfunction.

Fraid that particular person posting had got the wrong end of the stick - the standard intercooler is an air to air one no coolant involved.
afaik the part no is A 203 528 2982 - £50-£60 but check with your dealer against chassis no.

Hey guys,
Thanks again for your help. I've order a replacement hose (£66) which should be here soon.
In the meantime, I've put a temporary solution in place (see image attached) until I get chance to get my hands dirty. It's already improved my MPG which is a plus, but I'm keen to see what the inside of the EGR valve is like and investigate where the mounds of exhaust smoke is coming from.

Attachments

• IMG_6057.JPG
    IMG_6057.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom