Check Engine Light P2279 - Intake Air Leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wizard220

Car
2013 c220 CDI Estate
Hi all, hoping you guys can help a man in need.

Just to preface this, i only know a bit about cars, not really technical.

I own a 2013 c220 CDI estate (Auto) and just recently the check engine light has appeared. First time i scanned the codes i received two codes P2279 - Air Intake Leak and then P2463 - Particulate Filter Restriction (Soot Accum Bank 1).

I did some research and then cleared the codes hoping it may be a DPF regen issue and then took it for a drive on the motorway (as i read P2279 can prevent DPF regen). The code didn't return until 7 days later. However this time only the code P2279 is present.

I've opened up the bonnet and i've noticed that their appears to be oil residue on the engine cover (bottom left corner) for which i've attached a pic.

Also i've been losing coolant for a while (warning would come on every 3 weeks to a month), but not sure if its related. I read on another forum the coolant could be leaking and shorting a sensor somewhere.

Car is currently in limp mode.

Could anyone think of some things i could check for i.e. loose turbo pipe etc, only i have no idea which pipe that might be, so if anyone could post a guide i would appreciate it massively!

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

Attachments

• image_50434817-min.JPG
    image_50434817-min.JPG
    864.2 KB · Views: 71
Hi guys, found the fault, a loose clip on the outlet from the turbo to the engine caused the pipe to slip causing the loss of pressure.

Hi all, hoping you guys can help a man in need.

Just to preface this, i only know a bit about cars, not really technical.

I own a 2013 c220 CDI estate (Auto) and just recently the check engine light has appeared. First time i scanned the codes i received two codes P2279 - Air Intake Leak and then P2463 - Particulate Filter Restriction (Soot Accum Bank 1).

I did some research and then cleared the codes hoping it may be a DPF regen issue and then took it for a drive on the motorway (as i read P2279 can prevent DPF regen). The code didn't return until 7 days later. However this time only the code P2279 is present.

I've opened up the bonnet and i've noticed that their appears to be oil residue on the engine cover (bottom left corner) for which i've attached a pic.

Also i've been losing coolant for a while (warning would come on every 3 weeks to a month), but not sure if its related. I read on another forum the coolant could be leaking and shorting a sensor somewhere.

Car is currently in limp mode.

Could anyone think of some things i could check for i.e. loose turbo pipe etc, only i have no idea which pipe that might be, so if anyone could post a guide i would appreciate it massively!

Thanks in advance for any help guys.
Hi i had the same code P2279 (intake air system leak) it was the inter cooler pipe was gone now its all good

Me to, I had a split intercooler pipe, probably from my lead foot( to much boost all the time). same code, the independent garage found mine by injecting smoke into the air intake and watching it bellow out of the split in the pipe. A split or lose pipe will cause a lot of soot from the engine, probably why it was throwing a dpf fault, should be fine now

As for coolant loss. it will be either the water pump or the fuel filter housing (as this is part of the cooling system)

Given its so gradual my money would be on the water pump. not the end of the world, fairly easy job for a decent mechanic. or diy.. They tend to leak more when cold and you can see water on the aux belt, mine did that.

With regard the coolant loss,is that the coolant top up tank to the left of the stain on the engine cover,I would look at a leak from there,maybe the cap or the pipe,you could try running the car until up to temp and then open the bonnet and see is you can see the leak other than that get a garage to put the system under pressure to see if there are any leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom