'Check Engine oil level when next refuelling'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SaRO1321

Car
C63 AMG W204 Alfra Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Happy Sunday to you all and I hope you're all keeping safe and well.

A bit of relevant background:
2013 C63 - done just over 40K miles
Last service July 2020 (included oil change)
Done only 1155 miles since last service

A couple of days ago when out driving, 'check engine oil level at next refuelling' popped up. It is relevant to point out that when I stopped (I actually needed to refuel), the message then disappeared and nor was it in the service cluster. But around 10 minutes after driving again post the refuelling, the message popped up again. Fair to say that when I got home and parked the car, the message once again disappeared. I would like to add that I didn't check the engine oil just after turning the car off.

So my first question is - should I check the engine oil a little while post the car being driven?

I did though check the engine oil the next day. I did 5 pulls and the readings were pretty consistent. The oil level as you can see in the photos only comes up to the first meniscus, when I believe it should be ideally halfway between the two meniscuses?

I have a really good friend who owns his own repair shop but unfortunately he lives far away. He said his first thought is the cold weather triggering it, but then again the oil is synthetic so that shouldn't be an issue. He did though also say that the relatively low mileage that I've done since the last service could be an issue. He did say this prior to me actually checking the oil level. When I showed him the photos, he said it looks like it needs a little top up.

The car has impeccable service history as it only had one previous owner. I called Mercedes in Stratford and I'm due to go in, in a week. The Mercedes guy said they could check the oil, but it could also maybe be a software update issue. I try and be proactive so I already have 10L of Mercedes AMG high performance 229.5 oil, which I will take with me.

I would really appreciate it if you guys can let me know your thoughts. Should I check the engine oil level again when the car is warm prior to taking it into Mercedes?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 150034891_276922557268189_6223038986800783798_n.jpg
    150034891_276922557268189_6223038986800783798_n.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 150324281_3169462493155595_6145193101370684558_n.jpg
    150324281_3169462493155595_6145193101370684558_n.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 150579134_3683666338416428_29098444947572562_n.jpg
    150579134_3683666338416428_29098444947572562_n.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 32
Check it cold each time, that way you have a consistent reference for the level. It is important to not overfill the engine. About three quarters up the marks on the dipstick when cold should be fine but check it weekly to gauge the usage.

Check it cold each time, that way you have a consistent reference for the level. It is important to not overfill the engine. About three quarters up the marks on the dipstick when cold should be fine but check it weekly to gauge the usage.
Thank you for the quick response. The 5 pulls I did were all pretty consistent. Just came up to the first meniscus, which seems to show its low. I'm a surgeon and pretty much work 6 days a week, so I don't think I'd top it up myself. Even more so as this is the first time I've seen the message. Also. I don't know if the oil filter for example was changed at the last service, so I'd feel more comfortable a professional looking at it just in case. As you can probably tell, it scared me because it just came out of the blue...even more so as I've done so little miles since last service 😅

Thank you for the quick response. The 5 pulls I did were all pretty consistent. Just came up to the first meniscus, which seems to show its low. I'm a surgeon and pretty much work 6 days a week, so I don't think I'd top it up myself. Even more so as this is the first time I've seen the message. Also. I don't know if the oil filter for example was changed at the last service, so I'd feel more comfortable a professional looking at it just in case. As you can probably tell, it scared me because it just came out of the blue...even more so as I've done so little miles since last service 😅
It is a warning that levels are dropping to the point where you need to check and possibly resolve the issue. Oil and oil filters are changed at every service regardless of any other items that might be due.

Unsure of the logic of working 6 days so not wanting to top it up yourself unless catching up on sleep :)

If it was me and I was confident that my readings are accurate and I had the oil to hand as you do then I would add 500ml and check the level again adding smaller amounts after that until the level is around 75% full as demarked by the dipstick

It is a warning that levels are dropping to the point where you need to check and possibly resolve the issue. Oil and oil filters are changed at every service regardless of any other items that might be due.

Unsure of the logic of working 6 days so not wanting to top it up yourself unless catching up on sleep :)

If it was me and I was confident that my readings are accurate and I had the oil to hand as you do then I would add 500ml and check the level again adding smaller amounts after that until the level is around 75% full as demarked by the dipstick
Yes, more the case of finding time 😅

I have been trying to find videos where I could see what I need to open and where to top up the oil. Please excuse my naivety as this is my first c63. Is it pretty easy to add oil yourself? Do I need any specific tools etc? I appreciate your input greatly!

Yes, more the case of finding time 😅

I have been trying to find videos where I could see what I need to open and where to top up the oil. Please excuse my naivety as this is my first c63. Is it pretty easy to add oil yourself? Do I need any specific tools etc? I appreciate your input greatly!
The Oil filler cap should be easy to find on any engine. It is usually marked "OIL" and is usually situated on one of the Engine cam covers. It will just untwist in an anti-clockwise motion.

No tools needed although if it is tight a cloth or rubber mat can help with grip.

Depending on the angle of the oil filler it can de awkward to pour oil in without spilling, I have a cheap plastic one-litre measuring jug and a range of funnels to allow me to accurately dispense oil and get it intl the hole without spilling.

Check and fill, if necessary when cold.

Even more so as this is the first time I've seen the mes
The Oil filler cap should be easy to find on any engine. It is usually marked "OIL" and is usually situated on one of the Engine cam covers. It will just untwist in an anti-clockwise motion.

No tools needed although if it is tight a cloth or rubber mat can help with grip.

Depending on the angle of the oil filler it can de awkward to pour oil in without spilling, I have a cheap plastic one-litre measuring jug and a range of funnels to allow me to accurately dispense oil and get it intl the hole without spilling.
Thank you so much. I have a measuring jug and funnel, so should be OK. I'll see how I get on and update you! Once again, thank you for all the helpful input.

Scary thought that you're a surgeon and don't think you could top it up yourself?
As a breast cancer and general surgeon, my work is pretty much controlled in terms of actions that need taking. It takes around 9 years to be sure and allow you to deal with all sorts of issues - but even then, you have people around you to give you confidence as well as alternatives. And as this is my first amg car, I'm trying to be sure before I do anything. Hence asking you guys for advise 😎

As a breast cancer and general surgeon, my work is pretty much controlled in terms of actions that need taking. It takes around 9 years to be sure and allow you to deal with all sorts of issues - but even then, you have people around you to give you confidence as well as alternatives. And as this is my first amg car, I'm trying to be sure before I do anything. Hence asking you guys for advise 😎
ofc.jpg
This what you are looking for.

Thank you. I'm going to measure the oil level again today just to be on the safe side and if hopefully consistent, I can add the oil!
Also, ensure that the car is parked on a level surface before measuring.

My cars are checked hot after a run (allow 10 mins for oil to settle ) , that’s what the manual in the car says anyway

My cars are checked hot after a run (allow 10 mins for oil to settle ) , that’s what the manual in the car says anyway
Indeed but I am always wary of putting cold oil into a hot engine, probably a non-issue but..........

In my manual, it doesn't specifically state the oil should be checked post the car running / being driven. It states two options. 1. The engine should be switched off for approx 5 minutes if the engine is at normal operating temperature. 2. If the engine is not at normal operating temperature e.g. if the engine was started briefly, wait 30 minutes before carrying out the measurement.

In my manual, it doesn't specifically state the oil should be checked post the car running / being driven. It states two options. 1. The engine should be switched off for approx 5 minutes if the engine is at normal operating temperature. 2. If the engine is not at normal operating temperature e.g. if the engine was started briefly, wait 30 minutes before carrying out the measurement.
Consistency in the method is the important thing to apply.

When my car wants a drink, add 1 litre at next refuel lights up, I give it a drink of 1 litre.
I don't bother with checking with the dipstick, just wait until it asks for another drink.
I got used to living without a dipstick with my previous car.

When my car wants a drink, add 1 litre at next refuel lights up, I give it a drink of 1 litre.
I don't bother with checking with the dipstick, just wait until it asks for another drink.
I got used to living without a dipstick with my previous car.
Thanks. Having had hand built engine cars and a granddad who worked for Alfa Romeo for 40 years, he used to always tell me not to rely on the ICU but to do preventative maintenance and to be proactive with checking oil levels etc. But in this case, the light coming on threw me off because of only doing 1155 miles since the last service. When checking the service papers, oil change and filter change was done. I will though admit that I have had a little fun in the car since and it drinking maybe more oil...as is the case when driven more at higher speeds 🙈

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom