'Check Engine oil level when next refuelling'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Last edited:
Technology and electronics have come a long way in 40 years, we even have cars without engines or engine oil now.
RIP the dipstick.

OP , I wouldn't worry about it, AMG V8's of all ages use oil , some very little and some (what seems like) a lot . I carry a litre of oil in the car and when it says 'add one litre' I do exactly that. Some burn a litre every 1000 miles (bit excessive that) my almost 150K mile M113 V8 AMG drinks about one litre per 3000 (ish) miles. No problem.

Top up when required and enjoy your car :thumb:

Technology and electronics have come a long way in 40 years, we even have cars without engines or engine oil now.
RIP the dipstick.
Understood. But as it isn't exactly difficult, checking the dipstick provided me with a bit more reassurance / confirmation. Mercedes charge 120 pounds just to take the car in for a checkup. If I at least check the dipstick, then as guided by the helpful guys on here, add the oil, I can then see if the issue maybe a software update malfunction or maybe a sensor malfunction (if it still pops up post topping up the oil). best to do the easiest step first.

OP , I wouldn't worry about it, AMG V8's of all ages use oil , some very little and some (what seems like) a lot . I carry a litre of oil in the car and when it says 'add one litre' I do exactly that. Some burn a litre every 1000 miles (bit excessive that) my almost 150K mile M113 V8 AMG drinks about one litre per 3000 (ish) miles. No problem.

Top up when required and enjoy your car :thumb:
Thank you. that's exactly what the manual also said - around 1L per 1000 miles if driven more at higher speeds. This is though my first AMG and hence asking you guys for help and reassurance. thank you so much.

Just wait until you start asking about tyres and brake pads ! That's a whole new level :D
haha. But those are fun topics to discuss. I'm thinking of getting new alloys when the next service is due - just to freshen it up a bit. The tyres are in pretty good condition at the moment. I have been desperately waiting for covid to subside so I could enjoy the car more. Just that me, my sister and both parents are surgeons so I've had to be extremely careful abiding by the rules, so I don't catch it and then pass it onto patients. I'm sure that once life hopefully goes back to normal, I'll be asking for tyre recommendations and more 😃

Hi I've also got the c63 I've never had that up on mine but mine hasn't really used any oil the top up is on thr righthand side ill post a pic ive only done 400 miles since service ,i only check oil cold aswell 😅

Hi I've also got the c63 I've never had that up on mine but mine hasn't really used any oil the top up is on thr righthand side ill post a pic ive only done 400 miles since service ,i only check oil cold aswell 😅
20210214-181822.jpg
[/url]

Thanks, fella. Appreciate you taking the pic - grateful! Mine is 1155 miles post last service. I did locate the cap and with a little help from a 17mm wrench / spanner or whatever, it opened easily. I'll wait for daylight tomorrow to do another check of the dipstick and then hopefully top it up. Fingers crossed and touch wood, the message won't then come up 😅

ps. I only use the car for leisure, so thankfully not an emergency. Just I'd never seen anything like that - scared the s*** out of me haha.

Thanks, fella. Appreciate you taking the pic - grateful! Mine is 1155 miles post last service. I did locate the cap and with a little help from a 17mm wrench / spanner or whatever, it opened easily. I'll wait for daylight tomorrow to do another check of the dipstick and then hopefully top it up. Fingers crossed and touch wood, the message won't then come up 😅
Just DONT put to much in and enjoy 👍

I had mine back from service a week and could smell slight oil smell thought sh t whats that and it turned out to be the passenger side cam cover crack common fault on these just over 50k on mine 😑

I had it on the m3 that doesn't have a dipstick i put about half a mug full in sorted never seen it again

I had mine back from service a week and could smell slight oil smell thought sh t whats that and it turned out to be the passenger side cam cover crack common fault on these just over 50k on mine 😑
Aw no! was it expensive to fix? Would've thought minimum £400 😩

Last edited:
An oil top up is easy, just make sure you are filling in the correct place as indicated in the diagram in Post #31 . It's just like doing an enema;)
As mentioned. 0.5lt, wait 10 mins for the oil to drain down and recheck the level.

I had it on the m3 that doesn't have a dipstick i put about half a mug full in sorted never seen it again
You have an m3 and c63? God bless haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom