Checking and topping up W220 differential oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJayUK

Car
ML320 W163, E320 W210 & Jaguar X300-XJR6
Onto another job on my list of maintenance tasks for my beloved S320!

For no good reason other than it seems like the right time to check I want to make sure that my diff has the correct amount of fluid into it (She's just turned 117K so it seems like a good bit of preventative maintenance). Had a quick search cant find specific details on how to go about this, and was looking for some advice or perhaps pointers to some directions.

As always any help is respectfully appreciated!:D

Just change the oil as it's done a life's work. The drain plug is on the bottom of the diff and the filler is on the side.
Remove the filler before the drain so you know it can be undone, drain then refil. It should take about 1.1 litres of EP 80/90 to fill it.
The car needs to be level.

Is axle oil changed as part of a main dealer service at all? or is it filled for life as per gearbox.

I have 147k and full main dealer service history but cant recall it ever being replaced which me thinks it should have been by this mileage surely.

It's not in the schedule..

Just change the oil as it's done a life's work. The drain plug is on the bottom of the diff and the filler is on the side.
Remove the filler before the drain so you know it can be undone, drain then refil. It should take about 1.1 litres of EP 80/90 to fill it.

As DM said....

Is it the same spec for W210, 1998 & W202, 1994 as i plan do both.

Cheers again DM, what would we do without you :p

I thought you already had changed the diff oil for syn?

Lynall

Me ?

Nope, only done engine and tranny on C250D, engine only on 300TD

Had the day off so scoped out a few jobs for the weekend - have the gear oil and popped underneath to see about topping up.

At the back of the diff there is a spout with a small cap on, couldnt figure out how the cap came off and didnt want to force it -

Is this the filler cap? if so how does it come off?

Ta,

That's the breather a the top of the backplate. If you filled to there it wold be very overfull.

The filler plug is on the side of the casing.

Last edited:
I took it to my friendly local Indi in the end, only cost me an hours labour, and he had Millers fully synth in stock so used that. I think this is quite an easy job though, but I was just being a bit lazy. Good luck with your SClass its an amazing car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom