Checking for "piggy-backer" on Home wireless network

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swl

Hi!

A relative set up the wireless home network (using Netgear) for us. It works brilliantly. However, I suspect the system hasn't been configured to stop outsiders from piggy-backing onto the system. The reason I am suspicious is because I saw the wireless icon lit up on my PC and it said something like Connection Signal is strong. My other half was in bed and I am the only one using one of the PCs in the house.

Question: How do I check that the system is configured properly? :confused:

Thanks.

swl

You'll need to check on your Netgear's settings (usually via a dedicated built in setup webpage) to ensure that Encryption or Security has been activated. Look for phrases like WEP, AES or TKIP encrption or security.

I'm afraid I use a Buffalo router so can't tell you the specifics of the Netgear's setup but hopefully some else can. :)

S.

Whats the difference between a Buffalo and a Bison?

You Can't wash your hands in a Buffalo

SWL,

Can you explain a little more? It's not entirely obvious what you mean by

"The reason I am suspicious is because I saw the wireless icon lit up on my PC and it said something like Connection Signal is strong."

This is exactly what I would want it to say if I was using wireless. :)

The wireless base station that you mentioned (netgear) may not be setup securely. Not too hard to work out. Can be done with something like WEP or just by filtering all MAC addresses out, except for the ones you specify.

craigyb said:
Whats the difference between a Buffalo and a Bison?...
That is my dad's all time fave joke :p

oops.gif
Sorry for going
offtopic.gif

S.

Scott,

Like you said I didn't explain myself very well. It is the WEP security bit as pointed out by Steve that I am referring to. We have now done the WEP set up.

Once again, thanks to Steve and you for the info. :bannana:

Regards,
swl

scotth_uk said:
SWL,

Can you explain a little more? It's not entirely obvious what you mean by

"The reason I am suspicious is because I saw the wireless icon lit up on my PC and it said something like Connection Signal is strong."

This is exactly what I would want it to say if I was using wireless. :)

The wireless base station that you mentioned (netgear) may not be setup securely. Not too hard to work out. Can be done with something like WEP or just by filtering all MAC addresses out, except for the ones you specify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom