Checking MAF help - C180 w203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mayzee

Car
C180 Coupe
Hi,

Engine light came on last Friday, I checked fault codes using OBD reader and P0101 came up. Looked on here and discovered it was most likely the MAF sensor causing the problem.

I removed the sensor block and cleaned it using isopropyl contact spray and gave the connection a quick squirt too. Cleared the codes and all seemed well, but the error came back - though not straight away

I looked at the MAF output and it seems a bit odd - around 2 to 3 g/s when idle. Revving the engine led to a general peak of 14 to 15 g/s , although it did spike once at 34.

The wires in the MAF look to be connected OK.

Is it worth checking the resistance of the sensor wires and if so what should it be? Also is there any way to tell if it is the MAF or the wiring to the MAF that can be checked in the same way. Also anything else it could be?

I'm happy to buy a new MAF if need be, but I don't want to shell out the cash to find it's actually a dodgy connection elsewhere causing the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hope you get the help you're looking for. By strange coincidence i am having a problem being sure WHERE the maf sensor is on the same car, I have just posted a separate thread so won't hijack yours. Very grateful if you can offer any help.

Thanks

Hi,

Engine light came on last Friday, I checked fault codes using OBD reader and P0101 came up. Looked on here and discovered it was most likely the MAF sensor causing the problem.

I removed the sensor block and cleaned it using isopropyl contact spray and gave the connection a quick squirt too. Cleared the codes and all seemed well, but the error came back - though not straight away

I looked at the MAF output and it seems a bit odd - around 2 to 3 g/s when idle. Revving the engine led to a general peak of 14 to 15 g/s , although it did spike once at 34.

The wires in the MAF look to be connected OK.

Is it worth checking the resistance of the sensor wires and if so what should it be? Also is there any way to tell if it is the MAF or the wiring to the MAF that can be checked in the same way. Also anything else it could be?

I'm happy to buy a new MAF if need be, but I don't want to shell out the cash to find it's actually a dodgy connection elsewhere causing the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Hi
It looks like your maf is on its way out -I had a similar issue a while back - I would recommend getting an oem one - cheaper ones tend to not last very well and are unreliable - good luck

@ mercedesc180a

If you pop the bonnet and then look at the engine you have the air filter box right at the front.

There's 6 torx screws to get this off - this lid is attached to a pipe about 10cm wide and there's a compression brace around the rubbery section. The last plastic part if the tube is the MAF housing - there is a cable that plugs into it from the bottom.

You need to crimp the ends of the compression bracket thing together - I used a mole grip so it would lock off - and then the lid of the air filter housing and MAF will come free.

Hope that helps.

What engine? 111 or 271?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom