Checking power steering level

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lim

Car
W213
Before an expedition south next week I have changed all the fluids in the car.
Actually, I am in the throes of changing the PSF by the "dilution method."
The tiny dipstick inside the cap has two bands which are 'Max' and "Min' at both 20 C and 80 C.
So far so good.
But I am now wondering if the PSF level should be checked with the engine running (like the Tx fluid) or with the system static (like the engine oil level.)
A simple, naïve question about which I would welcome advice.

All good wishes, lim

psf is normally checked with the engine off

Can anyone tell me whether I'm correct in thinking if you check the PSF cold you use the 20 c level and if it has been running you use the 80c level? I'm not sure as hadn't seen this before.

Thanks in advance

Quite correct. 20º is the cold level and 80º is normal running temperature level.

Thanks for response much appreciated. Whilst I'm on the subject is it normal the pump sound quite whiney and loud? I think it is the ps pump as if you Rev engine it stays in line with revs but can't be 100% sure. Any thoughts welcome

No, it shouldn't sound whiney or loud. Once you've topped it up to the correct level, turn the steering wheel from full lock to opposite full lock three or four times and check the level again. It's possible that it has air in the system if it has been run with the level too low. You will need to check for leaks if that is the case.

It's also possible that it's one of the other pulleys, alternator, water pump, A/C or belt tensioner, etc., that you can hear whining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom