Checking transmission oil level on C55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Belcher

Car
C55 AMG (2005)
Hi. Anybody know if it is possible to check the transmission oil level from within the engine bay? Hoping it has a dipstick hidden under there somewhere to save getting it checked by a dealer on a car lift. Cheers.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

First you need to buy a dipstick for the 722.6 trans then if you look at the back of the engine bay there will be a little plastic housing with a red tab you need to prize the tab of with a screw driver ( it breaks when you do this ) and then you can take the cap off, take the car on a good run and get the trans nice and hot get your new dipstick and feed it down the tube untill it hits the bottom of the trans sump and pull it it out to read the level, the engine must be running when you do this and must also be hot.

Make sure the dipstick has the diamond shaped stop just above the measuring section. This prevents the dipstick going too far and touching the sump bottom.

51yo9GIImpL._SX522_.jpg

Perfect thanks guys. So do I take it the dipstick doesn't stay in situ then like engine ones do, and is only inserted for checking as you describe?

Many thanks

Perfect thanks guys. So do I take it the dipstick doesn't stay in situ then like engine ones do, and is only inserted for checking as you describe?

Many thanks

Once the oil is checked remove the dipstic and re fit plastic cap.

I think the ATF should be at certain temperature (verified by STAR?) When checking ATF level. Obviously car needs to be 100% level.

If you have a scanner like icraft i980 or the like you can plug it in and it will tell you the transmission oil temperature you need it at 40 degrees,if you have not got a scanner then drive the car until the engine is up to temperature then give it a few more miles and the box oil will be at the right temp,then use your new dipstick.

There is a hot and cold measurement on the above dipstick so it doesn't matter.

The lower mark is just a rough guide after you have drained the box, if you did not measure the amount of fluid you took out then the lower mark will be a marker. You fill it to the lower marker , you get it up to temp, then you bring it up to higher mark...it is important not to overfill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom