Checks and what to look for in a E300 when buying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CYPER

Car
W212 E300 Hybrid
So I left a deposit today and going to collect this beauty tomorrow: Mercedes-Benz E Class E300 Hybrid SE 4dr 7G-Tronic

This is my first car of this calibre (driving Civic 8th gen atm), so naturally I have a few questions:

1 - What should I check/inspect to make sure the car is fault free and there is nothing missing from the standard equipment? 2 keys are standard?
2 - If I suspect anything is there a formal/legal way to make the dealership aware, so it's easier to resolve it further down the road (similar to signing for courier delivery and writing Damaged or Not inspected).
3 - I drove it for a mile today and felt a bit of delay/hesitation twice and both times at low speed, so I can only assume it was when changing 1>2 gear or when switching from electric to diesel. Not sure exactly, but it was noticeable. Should this be a concern?
4 - I got offered 3 years extended warranty for £1065. Is it worth it? Car has a few months left on manufacturer's warranty, so maybe wait until that runs out?
4 - Also just curious what do you think is a valid reason the previous owner would sell such a car this quickly? I am usually very paranoid and would always assume something bad.
5 - And last I didn't try to bargain, but would you reckon these types of gigantic dealerships are willing to come down on price, even if it's a couple of hundred pounds?

Cheers

Last edited:
I had one of these for just short of 2 years and they are a lovely drive also very quick.

The hesitation issue may be a trait of Eco mode, the gear change is very lazy and can catch you out if say coming to a roundabout and without coming to a complete stop you pull out.

I have found this was the case with my E300, put car into sport mode and this is not a problem.

I would certainly take up the warranty on any Mercedes particularly a Hybrid which could be expensive to repair, others on here I know will advise putting money aside and use an independent.

People do change cars regularly I would not worry too much about this.

I would always try to get a discount on a car and I would be surprised if none was given.

Lovely cars which are very economical for their size but don't expect to get what Mercedes say they will do.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the reasons I sold my e300 was due to concerns over cost to repair hybrid system after I'd heard how expensive they can be. I wouldn't worry about people selling them though, plenty are likely to have been company owned (low tax rate so appealing to buyers) others may be selling to get the new E class w213 which is what I did. Also, mine was sold to merc main dealer but with over 40k miles in it, it ended up at one of those big car supermarkets and mine was mechanically perfect.

Car can be very hesitant in eco as other poster said. Put it in sport and make sure there is no issue. Nothing went wrong with mine and I understand facelifted w212 are pretty much bullet proof so not much to go looking for. Id just make sure the mileage is real and the hybrid comes on line pretty quickly after first driving the car (may take a few miles if car was left parked up a long time).

Not likely to get much off the price with a supermarket but as a guide I struggled to get close to mid 17 for mine when I pxd it a few months ago so they'll definitely have some wiggle room.

And I echo what's said about the warranty, you need total assurance that a hybrid drive train including battery failure is covered. They could well exclude it as a wear item but those batteries run a few grand so will hurt if it did fail.

I viewed a few cars there before I bought mine from another dealer.
They do not negotiate on price, and the cars that I saw were not presented very well.

Also, I did quite a bit of research into the company and there were quite a few poor reviews for customer service when issues arise.
However, I am sure they have many satisfied customers, but do have a search for reviews beforehand.

Good luck

I viewed a few cars there before I bought mine from another dealer.
They do not negotiate on price, and the cars that I saw were not presented very well.

Also, I did quite a bit of research into the company and there were quite a few poor reviews for customer service when issues arise.
However, I am sure they have many satisfied customers, but do have a search for reviews beforehand.

Good luck

I took a quick look around their West Malling branch the other day , not a nice place , miserable staff with a bad attitude , I know in the past they had a reputation for clocking cars.

If you really need an E300 in your life , id be looking at a fairly new one, I owned one for about 6 weeks before the novelty wore off and I traded it in for the massively superior E63.

I also heard that even Mercedes extended warranty doesn't cover the hybrid battery!!!!

My advice , great car to drive but avoid like the plague!!!

One last word of advice , I rarely managed over 45mpg in mine even driving like a granny!

I also thought that the merc extended warranty didn't cover the battery.

Got to say, comparing an e300 with an e63 is utterly pointless and as an extreme a comparison as is possible within a single car range! What's a two year old e63 run you, twice the cost of a similar e300?

Mileage depends on what your journeys are, whether you adapt to driving a hybrid or not and whether it's cold weather (which always took a chunk of mpg off mine). My long term average was around 51mpg though I regularly exceeded 60 on motorway runs, occasionally got just shy of 70 in summer taking it easy.

Collected the car today and did a 85 miles journey home, which was delightful. Car was behaving normally, at least I didn't notice any problems.

The car has a lot of tech and options, so would need to give the manual a read.

Also as the tank was practically empty I managed to squeeze 59 litters.

One of the reasons I sold my e300 was due to concerns over cost to repair hybrid system after I'd heard how expensive they can be. I wouldn't worry about people selling them though, plenty are likely to have been company owned (low tax rate so appealing to buyers) others may be selling to get the new E class w213 which is what I did. Also, mine was sold to merc main dealer but with over 40k miles in it, it ended up at one of those big car supermarkets and mine was mechanically perfect.

Car can be very hesitant in eco as other poster said. Put it in sport and make sure there is no issue. Nothing went wrong with mine and I understand facelifted w212 are pretty much bullet proof so not much to go looking for. Id just make sure the mileage is real and the hybrid comes on line pretty quickly after first driving the car (may take a few miles if car was left parked up a long time).

Not likely to get much off the price with a supermarket but as a guide I struggled to get close to mid 17 for mine when I pxd it a few months ago so they'll definitely have some wiggle room.

And I echo what's said about the warranty, you need total assurance that a hybrid drive train including battery failure is covered. They could well exclude it as a wear item but those batteries run a few grand so will hurt if it did fail.

The keyring says LeasePlanGo + there is a Vehicle Service History print with the LeasePlanGo logo that shows some weird mismatch for the mileage:
Is this something I should worry about? Or maybe they meant 2713 miles only?
Also what do you think the TYRE(S) line mean?
fJ8iR3O.jpg

Well, if the first entry in the history file is correct, then within two months of registration it had covered 27000 miles?

Seems unlikely?

Steve320 said:
Well, if the first entry in the history file is correct, then within two months of registration it had covered 27000 miles? Seems unlikely?

Wonder why it needed tyres in the first 2 months.

If you assign the tyre date to 27/07/2016 it makes more sense. 2 entries possible for front and rears fitted at different times/outlets due to not being in stock?
Does the 27,131 mileage figure fit in with what's on the car odometer now?

MOT mileage also says 18269, PS road tax shows expired at 23 Nov 2016 so worth keeping an eye on to make sure they have taxed, mine took a day to update online.

How did you find the dealer? have heard lots of negative things about big motoring world which has put me off them in the past.

The phone numbers for the last two entries don't match either. 0131 is Edinburgh
May just be an erroneous entry in the service list. Could ring LeasePlan and see if they have any further details on file.

I wonder if the service entries are correct in (reverse) chronological order, but the mileage on the tyres was 2713 and not not 27131? Could have been punctures or damage, not necessarily worn out. Read like that, it makes more sense.

Well, if the first entry in the history file is correct, then within two months of registration it had covered 27000 miles?

Seems unlikely?

Exactly my thought. Also the car is currently at 18K miles.

Wonder why it needed tyres in the first 2 months.

I called LeasePlanGo, but the department that can give me more information is closed, so will call back tomorrow.
Maybe it was just a tyre check. Hopefully there will be more information tomorrow.

If you assign the tyre date to 27/07/2016 it makes more sense. 2 entries possible for front and rears fitted at different times/outlets due to not being in stock?
Does the 27,131 mileage figure fit in with what's on the car odometer now?
No, it's 18K atm.

MOT mileage also says 18269, PS road tax shows expired at 23 Nov 2016 so worth keeping an eye on to make sure they have taxed, mine took a day to update online.

How did you find the dealer? have heard lots of negative things about big motoring world which has put me off them in the past.
When I paid the car just before collecting it the lady paid the road tax on my behalf too. That was yesterday around 7pm. She gave me a print out receipt for the payment as proof, so hopefully it will update online soon.

I wonder if the service entries are correct in (reverse) chronological order, but the mileage on the tyres was 2713 and not not 27131? Could have been punctures or damage, not necessarily worn out. Read like that, it makes more sense.

I am thinking the same thing, but why would they change the tyres at suck a low mileage. Maybe just a tyre check.

I also got this printout, but Page 1 is missing for some reason:

FiQ1ffy.jpg

Is this a certain proof that there is no clocking done on the car?

Appart from the anomalous tyre entry things seem to be OK. You should be able to get a printout of the service history page 1 from the supplying MB dealer ---Sinclair Garages ?

I'd simply enjoy a new motor, none of this will be important in a few years or whenever you sell it.

It's just a car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom