Cheeky Broadband question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ROTFL - well I was keeping quiet about what I have in my loft, but lets just say I need a 16 port KVM switch. :rolleyes:

Cisco 6500's

Or decommissioned GSR's..... ;-)

Not me though. I work with a guy who has cats named Cisco and 3Com and he keeps his front door open with a fully loaded 7206VXR!

6500s ? 7206VXRs ? 42u s ?

Oops - I'm lost in Jargon now :confused: ! . . . perhaps we need a new "IT Discussion" section on the forum !!

:D

Originally posted by AJTHOMAS
Opted for D-Link equipment, good price at the time...

DI-614+ Broadband Router, 4 ports plus Wireless AP.
DWl-650+ PCMCIA Cards for the Laptop

Can't fault the wireless for plug'n'play simplicity.

Router is configured via the inbuilt web server and has the usual DNS, NAT, Firewall etc. built in and pre-configured.

Came with a free driver update to run the wireless link at 22mb with 256 bit encryption !

I am not an IT expert ( and I know most of you are).

I use the DLink kit too, as above really, DSL 604+ which has 4 ports, router, plus wifi. Most of my kit is in the study and is hard wired to the ports but use wifi for upstairs (2PCs) primarily for broadband access. Although vaunted at 22mb link it is nowhere near that in practice, even less if wep used BUT only noticeable if transferring largish files across LAN - on broadband it as though it were hard wired.

That said I reckon the D-Link kit is a bit flaky and they have had trouble both with QC (DOA units) and their tech support is laughable. Luckily (for me) I have had no problems (touch wood).

Can I pick the collective brain?

At the moment I have 2 printers which are connected to one PC - which is OK I have everything set up so all users can print but my primary PC has to be ON of course. What is the cheapest/easiest way to put both printers on the LAN but only use one switch port
?

Last edited:
Originally posted by NormanB
At the moment I have 2 printers which are connected to one PC - which is OK I have everything set up so all users can print but my primary PC has to be ON of course. What is the cheapest/easiest way to put both printers on the LAN but only use one switch port?
One of these beasties:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3430656493&category=3750
easy to configure, plug up to 3 printers into it, uses just one network port. Appears to be a printer as far as the PC is concerned (some O/S will require software, some won't) and appears to be a PC as far as the printers are concerned. Most companies use these when the printer isn't network compatible by itself.

Shude

Thanks very much - indeed looks like just the very thing.

If I can chance my arm further ! If I am using Windows OS can I assume it will be straight forward or will I need to investigate further to determine if drivers are reqd for each PC ( a mix of W98SE and XP Pro)? - for the particular print server I am looking at (just in case that one slips through me'fingers)?

Thanks
NormanB

Originally posted by NormanB
Shude

Thanks very much - indeed looks like just the very thing.

If I can chance my arm further ! If I am using Windows OS can I assume it will be straight forward or will I need to investigate further to determine if drivers are reqd for each PC ( a mix of W98SE and XP Pro)? - for the particular print server I am looking at (just in case that one slips through me'fingers)?

Thanks
NormanB

Norman - XP picks up all the JetDirect models I have ever tried without any drivers necessary for the print server - you just install a network printer, point it at the IP address of the print server, then it prompts you for which port (e.g. printer) on the print server you want to print to.

I'm pretty sure that 98SE works the same way, but it's a while since I tried - at worse, all you have to do is install the free HP software on the PC. If it matters to you, I can dig up an old 98SE VMWare image and try it out on my JetDirect box....

Incidentally, I second what Shude has recommended, and that one looks pretty cheap!

Big Ed and Shude

Thanks to you both - I have just made a big leap in understanding as a result of your responses.

Now hot on the trail.............

VMT

Big Ed and Shude.

I just wanted to feedback.

I tracked the auctions for a while and managed to pick up a HP External Jetdirect 170x for £1.00 - it came without a power supply which took a while to track down - ended up paying £13 for it ! :crazy: But I just hope it all works.

Off to test and set up now!

Thanks once again.

NormanB

Wireless network

I have just setup with BT Broadband, using their own Wireless router box (includes firewall) for £150, plus £50 for laptop card and £50 for USB for desktop.

It works great throughout the house, box is downstairs, desktop is upstairs, great connection to Internet, even sharing between two on a 512 connection and can move files between the two pcs with ease, share printer etc.

I have not setup the Wireless security yet, but have configured the Firewall, and on testing, has reported that the computer does not exist to other internet users, so v.happy.

For a laptop user, this has been a great break from having to worry about running cables along the floor, and I can work anywhere in the house, even outside.

Have read through the posts and would like to add my advice.

Go both routes, wired / wireless. It doesn't cost much more to provide both methods. Wired for capacity and a solid, secure connection, wireless for laptops, convenience and hard to wire rooms. Wired tends to be (out of the box) a 4 port only device. Wired/wireless gives more port capacity. Ensure the wireless has active strong security!!

If it is a DIY job, wired is about £250 cheaper than wireless for 4 connections. It is 2 to 10 times faster than a wireless LAN, but makes no difference to a broadband connection (at current speeds).

One of the problems in modern houses / extensions, is that the plasterboard they use for the ceiling is foil lined (to combat condensation). This acts as a shield to radio transmission.

Can slowly evolve the cable network as and when one decorates. Work out where to have ones 'hub' (Hall cupboard?), cable laying routes and terminations. Leave it coiled up under the floor or in the loft, slowly rolling it out prior to decorating. Another tip. Cable is very cheap (~11p per meter). Don't just lay a single cable, run 2, 3 or 4 (5E or higher spec) to each room. Over the next few years most domestic equipment is going to evolve with it's own online capability. Fridge Freezers, Cookers, Washing machines, Dishwashers, Microwaves, TVs DVDs, HiFis, Central Heating, Burglar Alarms, Be prepared!

I am sure that the fact whether or not a house is networked is going to be a listed item when selling ones home from now on. Thus a value enhancing feature.

Have found Solwise a great company when it comes to efficient helpful support. They also have a superb active forum.

Makes a change from a CAN bus, this must be a HAN bus!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom