Chelsea Tractors Offset Emissions Savings of EV's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Interesting article on the front page of The Times today (behind the paywall but you can read it from the image on the BBC News website) says that according to the International Energy Agency (IEA) the increasing demand for sports utility vehicles is eliminating the emissions savings made by those who have switched to electric cars.

According to the IEA, the explosion in number of SUV's on the world's roads, from 35 million in 2010 to 200 million in 2018, is solely responsible for the increase in demand for oil of 3.3 million barrels a day from passenger cars. If the ownership trend continues, by 2040 the additional demand for oil caused by SUV's would be the equivalent of the savings generated by 150 million EV's.

Reactions: 190
One thing I don't get - SUV's don't have evil, magical engines. They get the same engines that go into other cars that each manufacturer makes.

Is it just because they're heavier than a small hatchback?

One thing I don't get - SUV's don't have evil, magical engines. They get the same engines that go into other cars that each manufacturer makes.

Heavier, draggier (through the air), and if tyres are (overly) biased toward off road, greater rolling resistance. It all adds up.

As @Bellow says, heavier + large frontal area and terrible drag coefficient ( = lots more drag) + higher rolling resistance tyres all add up to poor fuel efficiency.

In 1999 Griff Rhys Jones tried on TV to convince us all to buy a Vauxhaull Zafira...this is the result. That man has a lot to answer for. The SUV followed soon after in Europe where before that they had been mainly a USA thing.

Also you have to think that we aren’t talking about our mainly small/mid size SUV as the main problem look at the numbers of “full size” SUV in US and other parts of the world that make Range Rovers look dinky. Ever driven a Yukon or Denali etc... massive

Also you have to think that we aren’t talking about our mainly small/mid size SUV as the main problem look at the numbers of “full size” SUV in US and other parts of the world that make Range Rovers look dinky. Ever driven a Yukon or Denali etc... massive

In that case then it will be interesting to see what Comrade Corbyn ideas are on this matter!

I dont understand why they are called Sport Utility vehicles.
They are deifnately not Sporty, and not Utilitatrian but they are vehicles in a sense.
And yes they are heavier and much less aero dynamic I believe.

But they are ugly! And tiny inside and most have a high center of gravity.. = wobbly..

Not my thing.. can you tel lol

Comrad corbyn will put this to a peoples vote and then sit on the fence until .... well forever...

Have I Got News For You @haveigotnews
As global demand for gas-guzzling SUVs negates the effect of electric cars, middle-class parents say climate change is a small price to pay for doing the school run six inches higher.

As an observation, on my last winter trip to the French Alps I noticed very few big 4x4 off roaders. The overwhelming majority drove (mostly French) FWD family hatchbacks and seemed to cope perfectly well.

Last edited:
Reminds me of my sister last weekend at a family gathering. She’s just got a new X3. She’s had a few SUVs and always says it’s because she lives in the country and needs one. Fair enough....but when my dad asked her if it had 4 wheel drive (it does, BTW) she had to admit she didn’t know! So much for needing a 4x4! It was so important she never checked before buying it!! Priceless!

And totally inappropriate for the school run

This story has been around for a while and it does make worrying reading.

The blame for the start of this fashion trend can as usual be laid with the US where SUV's account for 63% of car sales. I don't know the full details but weren't trucks exempt from Emissions standards in the US hence the huge popularity. Besides the obvious higher pollution levels they are more dangerous than cars for both the occupants and pedestrians. That's probably news as they are often the choice of the nervous drivers/school mums because they feel safe. I think everyone can see why they kill more pedestrians than cars. In the US pedestrian deaths are at an all time high which is being attributed to SUVs. The inclination to roll over in an accident may be the reason they are more dangerous than cars for occupants.

SUVs are a paradox: while many people buy them to feel safer, they are statistically less safe than regular cars, both for those inside and those outside the vehicle. A person is 11% more likely to die in a crash inside an SUV than a regular saloon. Studies show they lull drivers into a false sense of security, encouraging them to take greater risks. Their height makes them twice as likely to roll in crashes and twice as likely to kill pedestrians by inflicting greater upper body and head injuries, as opposed to lower limb injuries people have a greater chance of surviving. Originally modelled from trucks, they are often exempt from the kinds of safety standards applied to passenger vehicles, including bonnet height. In Europe legislation is being brought in to end such “outdated and unjustified” exemptions.

'A deadly problem': should we ban SUVs from our cities?

Heavier, draggier (through the air), and if tyres are (overly) biased toward off road, greater rolling resistance. It all adds up.

Off road tyres on a SUV?

A very rare sight indeed.

This story has been around for a while and it does make worrying reading.

The blame for the start of this fashion trend can as usual be laid with the US where SUV's account for 63% of car sales. I don't know the full details but weren't trucks exempt from Emissions standards in the US hence the huge popularity.
You are correct. When the US brought in strict new emissions regulations for cars in the late 60s and early 70s pickup trucks were exempted as "commercial vehicles". If you wanted to continue to drive behind that beloved V8 back then that's what a vast no of U S citizens did at the time and that change in vehicle ownership profile continues to this day

SUV's become more relevant the worse out roads get!

In theory?

In practice rather too many seem to come with large alloy wheels and low profile rubber bands and suspension setups that are biased to be a bit firmer than they would be if people were so bothered by potholes..

In theory?

In practice rather too many seem to come with large alloy wheels and low profile rubber bands and suspension setups that are biased to be a bit firmer than they would be if people were so bothered by potholes..
Not all though:rolleyes:

Churning around high viscosity oil in the transfer box and extra diff even in 2WD mode won't help emissions either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom