Chelsea Tractors Offset Emissions Savings of EV's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's not just SUV's, cars have being getting bigger too. Compare the original mini with the new one or any saloon car from the 70's with todays equivalent. The question is will the continuous growth in car size and weight ever stop, because if not we are going to have a problem regardless how clever we are with reducing emissions.

You could level the same criticism of a lone chap in an S Class Merc.
Massive car for one person, why the need?

Just throwing it out there.

As a previous 4x4 owner I’m well aware of their appeal and I’m sure a nice estate car would have made an equally good family wagon however it wouldn’t have traversed Salisbury Plain with quite the same aplomb. I may have been in a minority there though admittedly. The first one was an off road monster Disco 3 but shame on me, the Disco 4 never saw any mud whatsoever. It was just really nice to drive and a great family workhorse.

I’m sure the days when we are all forced into driving around in a Renault Twizzy aren’t far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“SUVs” or those vehicles with a high clearance were marked for a massive uptick in sales years ago due to their better visibility.

I was only talking to a business associate yesterday about this who was doing 50k a year in his S-Class but always felt a bit tense on the motorway and is now driving a FFRR; he arrives at his destination feeling a lot more relaxed and fresh simply because he’s higher up and can see a lot clearer and further down the road.

The above may upset a few on here who're keen to force their own life choices on others but while ever we live in a free country people will be able to make whatever choice they want. And the irony doesn’t pass me by that we’re on a Mercedes forum either; shouldn’t we all be driving a Dacia Sandero?

“SUVs” or those vehicles with a high clearance were marked for a massive uptick in sales years ago due to their better visibility.

I was only talking to a business associate yesterday about this who was doing 50k a year in his S-Class but always felt a bit tense on the motorway and is now driving a FFRR; he arrives at his destination feeling a lot more relaxed and fresh simply because he’s higher up and can see a lot clearer and further down the road.
A parallel to this is when you're at a gig and someone in front of you stands up to get a better view. So you stand up because your view is now obscured, then those behind you stand up, and eventually the whole venue is on their feet despite there being perfectly serviceable, comfortable, seats to sit on.

I'm perfectly happy that people make their own life choices, but the fascination with driving tank-sized SUV's is something I've never understood. I also accept that my choice to drive high-performance AMG V8's and 6-cylinder motorcycles is lost on most others :)

It's not just SUV's, cars have being getting bigger too. Compare the original mini with the new one or any saloon car from the 70's with todays equivalent. The question is will the continuous growth in car size and weight ever stop, because if not we are going to have a problem regardless how clever we are with reducing emissions.
Well a couple of weeks ago, my daughter (with her two youngsters on-board) got rear-ended on the motorway by a truck that didn't stop. Her car which was written off, was spun around, hit again by a BMW and ended up against central barrier. With modern passenger cell construction, impact protection bars, ISO-fix child seats and airbags, no-one was injured. The car protected them, thank goodness. In addition, the fuel efficiency of the car she was driving is way better than anything that was around in the 70's.

Had they been in an original mini or a saloon car from the 70's, very likely to have been quite different story.

Had they been in an original mini or a saloon car from the 70's, very likely to have been quite different story.

I understand modern cars are safer and that we don't want to go backwards. My point was if the increase in size is a continuous trend where does it eventually end. I'm sure a Hummer is safe but do all want to drive one.

The above coupled with the ease of entry and exit with the seat at hip height is a major draw - and has been since Australian tax breaks kicked off the MPV trend which then morphed to SUVs via 4WD. Offerings from the major manufacturers major on the this more than traction so many now are only 2WD eg Renault Kaptur etc, etc. At least they are nearer to conventional cars re weight. Paradoxically, one of the lightest vehicles of late managed to offer the desired elevated driving position but Mercedes so badly handled the smart brand no one is interested.

Decades ago as road maintenance funding was cut in the USA pick-ups were justified by deteriorating road surface condition - which becomes a vicious circle as the heavier vehicle inflicts more damage. We are following the USA model. Speed humps played a part in this but bigger and blingier wouldn't sell without demand/desire.

Those who were in their twenties during the sixties lived to experienced the age of free love... which isn't coming back, not with AIDS and Me Too etc etc. Lucky buggers!

The generation that will come after us will say that we where the last generation to enjoy unlimited, unrestricted, unadulterated, car fun. The idea that every person can own a car (or two) will seem as alien to future generations as Jimmy Savile's antics in the BBC during the seventies seem to our's.

The future is carless... as far as personal transport goes, anyway.

Do you remember the days not that long ago that unless you lived in the country a pick up truck was a very rare sight on UK roads ? Then some bright spark noticed the company car tax break and all hell was let loose.

It was probably Mitsubishi that got in on the act first in the UK with the L200. By fitting alloys (the spare was steel), 'leather' interior , air con and a fancy (ish) paint job company car buyers took note as they were re marketed as 'leisure vehicles'...thats if your leisure time was spent getting sheep down from a Welsh mountainside because underneath it was still basically a farm vehicle - a pretty good farm vehicle - but still agricultural.

A company I worked for gave us these as a company vehicle based on the fact that a few years previous a manager had been involved in a RTA in which he was quite badly injured, some Brainiac thought it best to protect the guys on the road by insisting on using Mitsubishi Trojans from there on in, probably without looking at any NCAP data.

You are talking about a field service engineer with a lap top and at the very most 50kg of tools in the vehicle and almost always alone in the truck, good job too as the rear seats were almost useless.

A single most useless vehicle for driving to customers that stretched from way down near Penzance all the way to Aberdeen I could not think of. Hardly the motorway cruiser that was really required and hopeless fuel consumption to boot !

The tax break was nice though, I think (from memory) it cost £500/anum unlimited fuel.

Even though I think that tax break has gone 4x4 twin cab pick ups are still everywhere.

A parallel to this is when you're at a gig and someone in front of you stands up to get a better view. So you stand up because your view is now obscured, then those behind you stand up, and eventually the whole venue is on their feet despite there being perfectly serviceable, comfortable, seats to sit on.
I don’t disagree at all with that analogy Phil, but there’s more to the high clearance vehicles (because that’s *really* what the people want) than visibility; my mum, for example, has a bad knee and struggles to get in and out of “cars” and it’s much easier and less stressful getting in and out of errrr the 4.4 V8 petrol Range Rover they have...:D

I'm perfectly happy that people make their own life choices, but the fascination with driving tank-sized SUV's is something I've never understood. I also accept that my choice to drive high-performance AMG V8's and 6-cylinder motorcycles is lost on most others :)
No more questions your honour!

One thing I don't get - SUV's don't have evil, magical engines. They get the same engines that go into other cars that each manufacturer makes.

Is it just because they're heavier than a small hatchback?

Also, modern cars are very much more fuel efficient and have lower emissions than cars before 2010.

Do you remember the days not that long ago that unless you lived in the country a pick up truck was a very rare sight on UK roads ? Then some bright spark noticed the company car tax break and all hell was let loose............

My wife and I grew up in Africa and also spent nearly 10 years in Oz where pick-ups are ubiquitous.

When we returned here in 2015 (we first lived here from 2001 to 2004 - so within 11 years) we were very surprised at the large number of pick-ups on the road. They are really useful (think tip runs etc) and I'm trying to convince my wife she needs a twin cab (Amarok or X-Class) .......Her response is not repeatable:rolleyes:.

Would be nice to see some of these 577hp machines around.......

gallery_1418848276-screen_shot_2014-12-17_at_31836_pm_1.png

and parking bays are still sized for the original Mini.....:mad:

A parallel to this is when you're at a gig and someone in front of you stands up to get a better view. So you stand up because your view is now obscured, then those behind you stand up.
Interesting quote and I had the same sort of conversation with my sister who has a Volvo XC90. She talks about the advantages of an elevated driving position but I asked what happens when everybody drives an SUV. Nobody then has an elevated driving position.

Our Duster out in Skiathos is a 4x4. It’s needed for when it snows and getting up to friends properties in the hills where the roads turn into tracks.

Interesting quote and I had the same sort of conversation with my sister who has a Volvo XC90. She talks about the advantages of an elevated driving position but I asked what happens when everybody drives an SUV. Nobody then has an elevated driving position.

Walls and hedges remain at the height they already are.

Those who were in their twenties during the sixties lived to experienced the age of free love... which isn't coming back, not with AIDS and Me Too etc etc. Lucky buggers!

The generation that will come after us will say that we where the last generation to enjoy unlimited, unrestricted, unadulterated, car fun.
I think Mungo Jerry summed it up at the time, "Have a drink, have a drive, go out and see what we can find"

The above may upset a few on here who're keen to force their own life choices on others but while ever we live in a free country people will be able to make whatever choice they want. And the irony doesn’t pass me by that we’re on a Mercedes forum either; shouldn’t we all be driving a Dacia Sandero?

Is he feeling more relaxed now because he's doing less mileage as it's either at the side of the road or in Land Rover getting fixed?:p.

Is he feeling more relaxed now because he's doing less mileage as it's either at the side of the road or in Land Rover getting fixed?:p.
And getting a Mercedes as a curtesy car!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom