Cherished plate transfer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tan, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Tan

Tan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
    Hi

We are buying a car in Scotland later in the week and we have a cherished plate to put on it. When I did my last few transfers, which was last year, I just went into my local DVLA office (Sidcup, Kent) and they did the paperwork there and then.

Is it possible to do same day transfers in Scotland, the dealer that we are buying the car from (Westerns in Edinburgh) said that it's not possible to just go along to the office and have it done same day and that same day transfers have not been available in Scotland for many years, is this true?

The car is for my mother-in-law and will be staying in Scotland, hence I won't to get the transfer done asap.

2. MicB

MicB MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB SL500 (R230) 2003, MB SLK320 (R170) 2001, Volvo V70 XC AWD 2001
    Is Scotland different? You can do all the paperwork most easily by downloading all the necessary forms and completing them in advance c/w supporting documents. Take to your local DVLA office......Oxford is brilliant......and you should expect new disc etc. within 7 days. Last time I did it in Oxford it was 36 hours.

Mic

3. Alps

Alps MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55 2004 Silver, E63 Weistec AMG(SOLD), E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    what did u get Tan??

4. OP
    OP
    Tan

Tan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Alps.... can you take the excitement, its a Honda Jazz.

1 person likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Tan

Tan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    In order to get this done whilst we are in Scotland, we will need to use either Edinburgh or Dundee DVLA's.

6. A-AvantGarde

A-AvantGarde MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2016 BMW F86 X6 M, 2016 BMW F30 320d, 2001 Mercedes C320 Elegance
    Is the cherished plate on a retnetion certificate or on a car at the moment?

Suprisingly in this day and age, I don't believe the same day service is available anymore. Although you still apply locally, the last few transfers I've done we did by post (Reading & Watford / Borehamwood) and the paperwork comes back within a week (one was 3 days).

Is there any urgency in doing a same day transfer? I handled the paperwork for a plate transfer for my wife's aunt (birthday present), got the plates made for them and sent it all to her uncle.

7. OP
    OP
    Tan

Tan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    The plate is on retention, just bought from the DVLA. Would like to get the plate on the car before I leave scotland, so want to do it on Monday afternoon before I fly home. Will ask the dealer to make the plates up, so once the transfer is done, I just need to swap them over.

1 person likes this.
  8. JonMad

JonMad Active Member

Car:
    W209 CLK55 AMG (stripped out) - gone :(
    I've just posted the forms and stuff to my local DVLA office. Don't you need to wait for the new V5 before getting the car? Hence I don't think it's possible to do in a day, even if they gave you a new tax disc and MOT right there.

9. waterman69

waterman69 New Member

Car:
    C 220 cdi
    Now takes 7 - !0 days via the post to do a transfer, rather than all done the same day.

10. AMG-Al

AMG-Al Active Member

Car:
    CLK55AMG (W208)
    When I went in to the DVLA office in Glasgow in May of this year armed with all the correct paperwork and a number on a certificate I was told I could put the number on immediately. Got revised MOT crtificate there and then and V5 would follow in 7 - 10 days.

Don't know if things have changed since then.

11. mdk1

mdk1 Member

Car:
    Skoda Octavia Sport TDi DSG
    No problem,
    Take the new keepers slip that you get from the dealers from the old V5 to the DVLA office with the tax disc code number of the currant disc, give them that with the retention Certificate and they will do the swap for you and post the new doc's out, As soon as they change it on the system you can put the new plate on, If you need to take an Mot cert. they will change that there and then.
    Don't forget to tell you insurance once the plates have been changed.

12. A-AvantGarde

A-AvantGarde MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2016 BMW F86 X6 M, 2016 BMW F30 320d, 2001 Mercedes C320 Elegance
    Get the dealer to make up the plates then the rest should be straightforward. You can start the paperwork for them, as soon you pick up the car using the new keeper supplement and the retention certificate. Once it's completed they'll post the new tax disc back and number plate authorisation certificate (which won't be needed if the dealer has made the plates for you) to your parents. Easy!

Granted, not as straight forward and quick as it used to be where you would get the tax disc instantly.

13. GSD

GSD Active Member

Car:
    01 W210 E240 Avantgarde
    Spot on!

I went to my local DVLA office yesterday expecting to have my new plate assigned immediately as that has always been the case.

However, I was told that the local office no longer handles transfers when assigning a plate from retention on to a vehicle and this is now a 7 day process :doh:

14. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    That's only for car to car not for retention certificate to car