Chernobyl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought you were all getting too excited so decided to watch the first episode and see what it's all about. Sat down with the missus... and we ended-up watching three in a row. Forth one tomorrow :)

Told ya so :p not filmed in Scotland though :D

They mean first in Ukraine.

Last edited:
According to that site it was the first nuclear power plant in Russia, which it wasn't.

Where does it say that? It says the first to be built in the country and it’s referring to Ukraine isn’t it? :dk:

Last edited:
Hi,
It’s a very gritty series - but I could not help but chuckle when I saw the actor playing the leader of the miners - I recognized him from a very long time ago as the wife beating husband of Mo in Eastenders (in the days that I was forced to watch the series by my now ex-wife!)
Cheers
Steve

At times like this I regret not having nick mercedes around any more - it would have been 'interesting' to hear him telling us how great were the USSR and Communism.

Reactions: GLK
Got around to watching Episode 1 on NOW tv last night, very gripping so we also watched 2 & 3 !

It’s very well made, fascinating, horrific, achingly sad, and made quietly heroic by the actions of those who know they’re going to die, but step up, as million of others are in peril.

Got around to watching Episode 1 on NOW tv last night, very gripping so we also watched 2 & 3 !

It’s very well made, fascinating, horrific, achingly sad, and made quietly heroic by the actions of those who know they’re going to die, but step up, as million of others are in peril.

Hi,
Wait until you get to the last episode - no. 5.
At the end of the episode are amazing clips and facts about the real people featured in the series along with what happened to them.
It also discusses what happened to the townspeople who stood on the bridge to watch the reactor fire - whilst radioactive ash rained down on them.
Apparently - Russia does not like the way they were portrayed in this series and have decided to make their own version of events!
Cheers
Steve

...Russia does not like the way they were portrayed in this series and have decided to make their own version of events!

Which kind of proves the point that the TV series was trying to make all along... ;)

Hi,
Wait until you get to the last episode - no. 5.
At the end of the episode are amazing clips and facts about the real people featured in the series along with what happened to them.
It also discusses what happened to the townspeople who stood on the bridge to watch the reactor fire - whilst radioactive ash rained down on them.
Apparently - Russia does not like the way they were portrayed in this series and have decided to make their own version of events!
Cheers
Steve

The 'Bridge of Death' scene doesnt really do a good job of showing how Beautiful the ionisation apparently was. Many reports mention a huge rainbow of colours - like an Angel, rather than a blue line in the sky

I binge watched it last weekend, what a fabulous series. Gorbachev said it was that which collapsed the USSR.

Not allowed to "do" accents these days......it's racist.

Unless you are a Meerkat.

Having decided to use English, what better nation to supply the actors than England?

Another interesting aside is the famous "Woodpecker" noise that blighted AM radio for most of the 80's. Caused by a highly-advanced (and enormous) Soviet over-the-horizon Radar that was being developed for early warning of Western air attack.

It used so much power that it had to be sighted very close to a power station...... and that power station was Chernobyl.

Last edited:
Not quite sure I'd got that far, but it has certainly been interesting. They were able to use Chenobyl's sister site Ignalina in Lithuania for filming so it is quite realistic.

Definitely worth a watch.
So there is a ‘site B’ ?

Shades of Jurassic Park !!!

I really enjoyed it but the accents did take a bit of getting used to
And the clips at the end were mind blowing, especially the official Russian death toll figures

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom