Chernobyl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benzmanc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Tesla Model 3 + Honda Blackbird
If you have Sky and are not watching this then you are really missing out on the years best mini series.

It's just absolutely staggering in it's presentation, acting, make-up etc

Almost as if they had filmed it at the actual event

Stunning

Chernobyl

Not quite sure I'd got that far, but it has certainly been interesting. They were able to use Chenobyl's sister site Ignalina in Lithuania for filming so it is quite realistic.

Definitely worth a watch.

Great pity that its only available on Sky Atlantic and not a free to air channel. :( The human element of the incident was dramatic enough in real life without embelishment but its good that more people should learn about this horrific event through drama .
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The radio active plume even reached the UK via rain precipation in certain upland areas of the UK -- North Wales -- Lake District [ ironic] and the Southern Uplands of Scotland leading a ban of mutton from sheep grazing in those areas .
12.05.09.chernobyl.sheep2.gif

The reactor design was inherently unstable under certain circumstances and they were running a test simulating a reactor coolant failure when it all kicked off! The RBMK-1000 reactor Technology explained here
Chapter I The site and accident sequence - Chernobyl: Assessment of Radiological and Health Impact

it is a phenomenally well done series thus far. one of the most accomplished works I have seen in a long while. The attention to detail is staggering.

Yep, we're really enjoying it. As a presentation. The subject is extremely scarey.

I don't have Sky but just found it on HBO. I'll look forward to watching.

Not surprisingly, people in Lithuania and the Baltic region were not only concerned about radiation from Chernobyl but about having identical nuclear reactors in Ignalina in the north-east of the country. De-commissioning was part of the EU accession agreement. Not that the Soviets cared much, but Ignalina was built in a beautiful part of the country where it's said the grass is unusually green :( The nearby town of Visaginas (once a secret location) was built to house the Ignalina workers but it's population is now in serious decline. Visaginas is the best example of a Soviet style town in the Baltics with identical multi-storey apartment buildings facing each other and separated by pedestrian walkways. It was proposed to house Lithuania's EU quota of refugees in Visaginas but I doubt they would have stayed long.

I've downloaded it, ill get round to watching it soon. Thanks for the heads up Darren!

Watched the first episode last night and eager to get home from work later to see the second episode

I can’t help but think that bloke with the funny voice though, is the actor who played Robbie in Eastenders in disguise!

This led me to listen to a few podcasts/audio this morning about it on the commute to work. They had soldiers rallied in to clear debris from around and above reactor 4 building, due to the failure of some robots they made to clear it that kept breaking down. These soldiers were clad with lead in makeshift suits (pictured) and they said they could taste metal in their mouths and still taste it to this day!

Also the miners transported in to create an underground passage to the reactor being exposed to all that radiation, such an interesting story albeit a disaster

Attachments

• A9B66FBB-9518-4F60-B5B7-B260BCD385E8.jpeg
    A9B66FBB-9518-4F60-B5B7-B260BCD385E8.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Last edited:
Those who forget or never learn the history are doomed to repeat the mistakes ofthe past.

Here is someone who just might actually have something worth listening to.

Nuclear Accidents: Lessons Learned from Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima. Presented by Dr. Brian Sheron, Director (Retired) Office of Nuclear Regulatory Research

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Chernobyl around 35.00 in but those with an interest will find watching the whole thing worthwhile.

Saw the first episode and thought it was very good. Would have liked to see some more of the events leading up to the incident though of course that may be covered in retrospect..

The people tasked with trying to sort the mess out demonstrated astonishing courage. Some knew they would receive lethal doses of radiation within in a few seconds of exposure and yet still did their job.

Thoroughly enjoyed this series and look forward to next instalment.

Gripping stuff!

Just watched the latest episode, horrific in so many ways!

Just watched the latest episode, horrific in so many ways!
And I suspect the reality was more horrific than the series is portraying!
Those poor firemen, miners and soldiers that actually touched or picked up the graphite pieces from the core must have died in a horrific manner.

Heh. I've been listening to Jared and thinking he sounds like Richard but never made the connection.

I thought you were all getting too excited so decided to watch the first episode and see what it's all about. Sat down with the missus... and we ended-up watching three in a row. Forth one tomorrow :)

I won't brag by naming each and every make and model of Russian car, truck, APC, or helicopter in the film ;) but suffice to say they were all 100% accurate for the period!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom