Chewing gum removal from seat...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flash

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercs
:mad: - Some idiot who I had to give a lift to site and back has transfered some chewing gum on one the cloth passenger seats on my Sprinter.

I have managed to get the best part of it of as wifey got a heated iron and applied it and it got most of it off. However, you can still feel the sticky area where the gum initally was with ur hand as it has sort of hardened a little now.

Can anyone pelase recommed some tips on how to restore the seat back to normal and completly remove all residue i.e. what detergent should be applied to the seat now etc?

Cheers

Flash

Flash said:
:mad: - Some idiot who I had to give a lift to site and back has transfered some chewing gum on one the cloth passenger seats on my Sprinter.

I have managed to get the best part of it of as wifey got a heated iron and applied it and it got most of it off. However, you can still feel the sticky area where the gum initally was with ur hand as it has sort of hardened a little now.

Can anyone pelase recommed some tips on how to restore the seat back to normal and completly remove all residue i.e. what detergent should be applied to the seat now etc?

Cheers

Flash

I can remember using an ice cube and freezing it off clothes etc.

Yes, or a CO2 fire extinguisher, put the nozzle right on top of it and give it a blast, then should just scrape off !!

I used egg white on my floor mats to get it off, worked a treat. Not sure you want to do that on your seat though unless you can get it all off as I am sure it would leave an 'interesting' smell!

Here's what you do..... Freeze harden the gum by rubbing it with an ice cube in a plastic bag so it doesn't wet the fabric. scrape off the surface gum, then dab the area with dry cleaning fluid, then wash with a uphostery cleaner...

HTH

Thank you to all your replies.

Wheelie: This morning (a short whilke ago) I got a warm bucket of water mixed clothes washing powder with some disinfection and wiped the seat with a cloth soaked in the detergent. The seat seemed to feel ok/normal and that nasty mint smell appears to have gone too. Will be interetsing to see what the finish is like once the seat ha snow dried.

If any of you are unfortunate to have the above happen then try applying a well heated iron which does actually really do a good job of getting the worse part of the muck off.

Wait till I see that idiot this morning who got the gum on to the seat in the first place... :devil:

Regards,

Flash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom