Child Car Seats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

juzep27

Has anyone fitted a non - mercedes child seat in a c class 220cdi as local dealership insist on a mercedes seat as it has a sensor in it to de-activate side airbags. Bottom line is child safety but I do get a bit annoyed when some dealers start taking advantage. Anyone know where I can get confirmation that I can use an alternative seat? much appreciated.

Has anyone fitted a non - mercedes child seat in a c class 220cdi as local dealership insist on a mercedes seat as it has a sensor in it to de-activate side airbags. Bottom line is child safety but I do get a bit annoyed when some dealers start taking advantage. Anyone know where I can get confirmation that I can use an alternative seat? much appreciated.
The only time you really need to have the MB child seat is if you intend to put the child seat in the front passenger seat. This is only a requirement if its a rear facing child seat. The normal front facing child seat without the sensor can in practice be fitted in the front passenger seat but you will need to push the front passenger seat all the way to the back, i.e. to be as far away as possible from the passenger side airbag.

If you only intend to use the seats for the rear, there is absolutely no need for the sensor-fitted seats.

BTW, the MB child seats WITHOUT sensors are actually the exact same 2006 child seat models made by Britax but are sold at twice the price (MB logo!!!). Do some research on the web and you will find that these MB seats without sensors are already obselete and have been superceded by more advance models with Britax. MB only sell the 2006 models.

I personally use the Maxi-Cosi Prior XP and Rodi XP for my two kids in the rear.

I use a non-merc maxi cosi in the rear of my c220 cdi... wouldn't use it in the front though!

Has anyone fitted a non - mercedes child seat in a c class 220cdi as local dealership insist on a mercedes seat as it has a sensor in it to de-activate side airbags.

Not placing a rear facing child seat in the front seat is well documented due to the dangers of a deploying airbag injuring the child. But the issue of the side airbags is less understood and publicised. Advice from the RoSPA is:

'If there are side airbags, make sure that the child restraint does not rest against the door, that the child sits properly in the seat and does not lean close to, or against, the door or window. Ask the vehicle manufacturer how far the airbag comes out as it deploys and whether it is safe to use a child seat in the front.'

But I doubt very much if a car salesman is able to answer that question and even if he was I would question the accuracy. I'd seek written confirmation from the vehicle manufacturer.

In fact the latest generation of child seats come with their own side airbags. It's most likely these will work only on their own and not with any vehicle side airbag.

The only technical documents I can currently find are ones you have to pay for.....I'll carry on searching and see if I can find any free reports.

many thanks for your reponses

I got one of the Britax ones for my 3 year old daughter the same as the MB seat... It doesn't have the Logo and cost me £25 from ASDA...

I got one of the Britax ones for my 3 year old daughter the same as the MB seat... It doesn't have the Logo and cost me £25 from ASDA...

When you say it's the same, what trim does it have?? The Mercedes units look really good with a grey interior. Only asking as I am just about to get one for my 3.7 year old, who insists it must have a "cedes" logo on it!:D

When you say it's the same, what trim does it have?? The Mercedes units look really good with a grey interior. Only asking as I am just about to get one for my 3.7 year old, who insists it must have a "cedes" logo on it!:D
Well follow the links They are not exactly the same but very similar... Click here for ASDA:- http://direct.asda.com/Britax-Evolva-23-Car-Seat---Black-Fusion/002641949,default,pd.html They have increased in price since it got my one...

And here for the Mercedes Item on ebay:-http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-KID-child-seat-excellent-condition_W0QQitemZ300264184642QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300264184642&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A2|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The Britax one has cup holders! Yes cup holders!

Last edited:
I managed to buy my MB child seat from an MB dealer for less than the one from Asda. You can ask for a discount at the dealer!! ;)

Agree with Wookiepelt- they are the same findings I came to when researching last year.

My dealer said that the side airbags are not deactivated in the rear- I presume there is no transponder sensor in the rear anyway, so AKSE unit only any point if using in the front. I wonder whether front side airbags are deactivated or whether it is just the front dash airbag which is deactivated by the sensor?

Personally, I felt the MB seat's trim fabric looked dated and not as smart as current Britax seats

For interest, we use the Aprica Euroturn for our baby and the Britax Explora isofix for the toddler. This latter model is better featured than the MB equivalent and approx 1/2 the price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom