Child car seats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smatt

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 E350Cdi Estate Auto
Interesting reading ...

It is but the availability of these seats is very small. Also, my 15 month old is already cramped as she faces rearwards - imagine what a 3-4 year old would be like! Not particulary comfortable and although it would be better in an accident, the figures show only 3 possibly avoidable deaths in a 7 year period. Those odds are pretty good from any point of view.
Travelling in any motor vehicle is potentially dangerous anyway and we accept then when driving/riding etc but of course we also have to make that decision for our children too.

Agree would be difficult with larger kids, but we do not even get the choice in this country!

from the referenced article:

'It is clear that a wide gulf has developed between the conclusions of the technical community, based on accident and test experience, and the guidance provided to consumers via legislation. the technical community appears unanimous that rearward facing restraints offer the best protection until the child is around four years old. However, through the Mass Group classification European legislation implies that a child is safe to travel forward facing from 9kg onwards. For an average child, 9kg represents ten months of age for females and eight months for males. It is clear therefore that the average consumer is not receiving the best technical advice via the current mass group approach within legislation. It is noted that the average four year old weighs around 16.5kg.' (http://www.anec.eu/attachments/ANEC-R&T-2008-TRAF-003.pdf)

Maybe all us parents should get E-class estates with 3rd row seats so that they are rear facing?

Our daughter at 2.5yrs is already quite tall and not sure as above how comfortable it would be rear facing?

with regard the E class rear facing seats while they maybe safer in a front crash, again there are implication in a rear facing crash?

When choosing out car seats we went for the highest rated at the time that happened to be Maxi Cosi Tobi. They only last up to 4 years or a certian weight so an expensive route realy as we 'could' have got 18month to 12 year seats cheaper but a poorer saftey record.

Interesting as my son is 10 months old and needs a bigger car seat, I also was reading about rear facing car seats for older babies, I like the idea of the rear facing seat, but the ones I've seen won't fit our car. There is also the point of the legs being cramped with a rear facing. Not sure what to choose as I want the safest for my son.

with regard the E class rear facing seats while they maybe safer in a front crash, again there are implication in a rear facing crash?
I think it's OK- I looked into this when the 211 first came out - concerned that the kids would be sitting in the rear crumple zone - and was sent some information from MB via my then employer showing how the various structural members allow the force from a rear end shunt to be carried around the rear-facing seats. So I'm not too concerned about structural safety.

I think it's OK- I looked into this when the 211 first came out - concerned that the kids would be sitting in the rear crumple zone - and was sent some information from MB via my then employer showing how the various structural members allow the force from a rear end shunt to be carried around the rear-facing seats. So I'm not too concerned about structural safety.
My only real concern is that with the the Navi CPU located in the rear passenger side AND the Sub-Woofer located in the rear driver side, in a rear collision scenario the rear crumple zone may propel these units towards the kids. I've attached a shot of my kids in the rear seats for reference.

BTW, I would definitely NOT put and toddler younger than 4 years old in the rear, at least not until they know how to obey instructions and can sit still in the car properly! Having them jumping about in the rear whilst driving is one experience I never want to go through again!!!

E280CDI%20-%20rear%20folding%20seats.jpg

My only real concern is that with the the Navi CPU located in the rear passenger side AND the Sub-Woofer located in the rear driver side, in a rear collision scenario the rear crumple zone may propel these units towards the kids. I've attached a shot of my kids in the rear seats for reference.

BTW, I would definitely NOT put and toddler younger than 4 years old in the rear, at least not until they know how to obey instructions and can sit still in the car properly! Having them jumping about in the rear whilst driving is one experience I never want to go through again!!!

E280CDI%20-%20rear%20folding%20seats.jpg
Cute kiddies! The one on the right looks slightly nervous of what Dad might be about to do though - I suppose they know your driving well enough by now:D

I wish I had kept the diagrams I had -iirc, there are crash members that direct the force away from the seats, effectively creating a crash cage around the seat area. But I can't remember what the situation was for the side/rear quarter impact. Will have a bit of a google and see if I can find the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom