Child damages your car....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kianok

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E220 AMG line premium plus coupe
Looking for opinions on the right thing to do.

A neighbours child crashed her bike into the passenger door this evening causing a scrape / scratch up the door from the bikes handlebars.

It won’t polish out.

I know who’s child it is and it happened in full view of our camera ( Hence why I was able to identify the culprit! )

Is it reasonable to ask the parents to pay for the damage?

A SMART repair would probably be all that’s needed.

How you proceed all depends on the parents and how well you know them; if you know them well then I’m sure they’ll pay to rectify the damage.

In my experience some get defensive as an immediate reaction where their children are concerned, but they then reflect a bit and come round to a more pragmatic way of dealing with such incidents.

I’d definitely recommend going to at least speak to the parents, even just to say that their child has caused the damage and you know this because after discovering said damage you checked the video to see if you could see who the culprit was.

How you proceed all depends on the parents and how well you know them; if you know them well then I’m sure they’ll pay to rectify the damage.

In my experience some get defensive as an immediate reaction where their children are concerned, but they then reflect a bit and come round to a more pragmatic way of dealing with such incidents.

I’d definitely recommend going to at least speak to the parents, even just to say that their child has caused the damage and you know this because after discovering said damage you checked the video to see if you could see who the culprit was.
I’ve had a word and shown them the footage which they can’t dispute.

As apologetic as they are and have at the outset offered to pay for the damage all I can do is take them at face value (don’t know them too well but they seem decent folk )

Just don’t know whether to just take it on the chin as it’s an innocent mistake by a child on a bike at the end of the day or hold the parents responsible.

Just don’t know whether to just take it on the chin as it’s an innocent mistake by a child on a bike at the end of the day or hold the parents responsible.
That’s very charitable pal, it’s ultimately your decision and if you do take that route, I’m sure the parents (if they are good folk) will feel the affects of such a gesture even greater..

And just you wait until some of the BOF’s on here get wind of this incident “in my day they’d have got a thick ear” and “kids should be more respectful of people’s property” etc like they were all angels when they were young boys in the 1930’s...

That’s very charitable pal, it’s ultimately your decision and if you do take that route, I’m sure the parents (if they are good folk) will feel the affects of such a gesture even greater..

And just you wait until some of the BOF’s on here get wind of this incident “in my day they’d have got a thick ear” and “kids should be more respectful of people’s property” etc like they were all angels when they were young boys in the 1930’s...
Cheers mate,as you know I’ve enough to be getting on with.....!

I’ll post some pics of the damage tomorrow.

WARNING BOF Input: :devil:

It may be an idea to check out the cost of the Damage to Repair before you decide whether Charity or Payment should be Recovered from the Parents!

If Payment is required it is worth noting that the Parents House Insurance MAY Cover the Cost of the Damage! :thumb:

I had a very similar incident when I was working in North Germany (not when I were a lad, worked 27 Hrs down't pit, and got up before I went to bed) the saving grace over there is the fact that all Families must take out an Insurance Policy that cover such eventualities! :D

BOF Input over!

As apologetic as they are and have at the outset offered to pay for the damage all I can do is take them at face value (don’t know them too well but they seem decent folk )

As they seem quite amenable I would get a quote and then let them know - if they offer to pay and seem to be able to pay then I would accept half as a gesture. If they don’t offer to pay I would walk as grief from neighbours isn’t worth it !

Depends on lots of things- what effect of pursuing this might have on your present and potential future relationship with all your neighbours after this- word tends to get about ? Nature of the accident- did the kid loose their balance or were they fooling around- perhaps depends on her age. Below a certain age a child cannot be held responsible in law for their actions.
Accidents caused by Children: Has your Child caused an Accident? - InBrief.co.uk
As already stated you are probably in "goodwill" territory here both in terms of the recovery of the cost of any repair and your future standing in the neighbourhood. If repair cost is excessive then its best covered by insurance theirs or yours----otherwise perhaps the maxim "we were all young once" might be a guide as to how to play this one?

On the flip side of this, if either of my kids damaged someone else’s property I would expect to pay for the damage. So I don’t think it’s unreasonable for them to foot the bill.

Of course they would then be locked under the stairs to live a life like Harry Potter. That’s just life, every action has a consequence hahaha

Either way OP, get it fixed and let them know the cost. Accidents happen but if it was an adult you’d expect them to pay up accident or not.

Looking for opinions on the right thing to do.

A neighbours child crashed her bike into the passenger door this evening causing a scrape / scratch up the door from the bikes handlebars.

It won’t polish out.

I know who’s child it is and it happened in full view of our camera ( Hence why I was able to identify the culprit! )

Is it reasonable to ask the parents to pay for the damage?

A SMART repair would probably be all that’s needed.
Absolutely

Innocent child has nothing to do with it. The parents are responsible.
Quite true, I’m sure, but as has been said above, it’s more than just the monetary cost, future neighbour relationships IM(BOF)O are just as, if not more important.

Quite true, I’m sure, but as has been said above, it’s more than just the monetary cost, future neighbour relationships IM(BOF)O are just as, if not more important.

Absolutely ...if they want to get on with me they need to fix my car:).

However there is a bigger picture.

Thin end of the wedge again - parents need to make their children take responsibility for what they do and saying nothing and letting irresponsible parents get away with it, only exacerbates the "snowflake/we can do what we like/don't use harsh words to me/take no responsibility" ...generation.

Looks like the car was in the street and the child was riding unsupervised (so old enough to be responsible) in the street and did not have the honesty to tell the parents (or owner) what happened. If the child did tell the parents what happened then they, did not have the decency to come forward.

I understand most opinions on here as being charitable, decent and not wanting to disturb relationships but this is far too complex for a very simple situation IMHO.

You should not have to incur a fair financial burden for this if someone else is responsible. They need to take responsibility for their actions, do the right thing and pay for it.

The only thing that can adjust this for me is if they are going through a tough time, illness etc. or simply really tight on money and tis word really pinch.

Unless you are loaded and can afford to donate money like this in these cases you shouldn't feel bad at all. You have done the right thing this far and dealt with it in an honest, fair and just manner.

The main issue for me is the disrespectful attitude of the child as either they knew they did it, did wrong and haven't owned up. Or they don't know right from wrong and this is a different issue.

If more people I this world were more responsible and accountable for their actions the world wide be a much better place. Think of idiots like Philip Green and similar who wind me up a fair bit with their actions and subsequent lack of natural/organic responsibility or accountability.

Absolutely ...if they want to get on with me they need to fix my car:).

However there is a bigger picture.

Thin end of the wedge again - parents need to make their children take responsibility for what they do and saying nothing and letting irresponsible parents get away with it, only exacerbates the "snowflake/we can do what we like/don't use harsh words to me/take no responsibility" ...generation.

Looks like the car was in the street and the child was riding unsupervised (so old enough to be responsible) in the street and did not have the honesty to tell the parents (or owner) what happened. If the child did tell the parents what happened they, did not have the decency to come forward.
100% agree

I'd ask them if they want to get quotes or if they can recommend anybody or, if they are happy to have you get it done and give them the bill. I'd also have my phone voice recorder running in my pocket.

The rubber meets the road when it is time to pay........

A big keypoint for me is how it was proactively dealt with by the child and/or parents. If someone had knocked on my door, made me aware and said sorry I still don't think I would have let them off as I'm not a millionaire. However it may have appealed to my better nature possibly. It also would have been the right thing to do and I can have a realtionship with someone after that.

Sounds harsh but I can't give someone the time of day if they are not honest and decent. I've had too many people take the pee out of me for far too long to have any different stance these days.

Last year a neighbours child broke my other neighbours mirror while playing footsie. A word with a culprit showing him what he did was sufficient and later on he came back with a father who was apologetic but it ended there and then. He didn’t offer to pay for a repair and the relations were not so good after that.
My advise would be to check first how much will it cost to rectify it and if it’s acceptable for you take it to the chin.

Get a reasonable price for the repair, ask him to meet you halfway. As a BOF, that to me sounds fair.

On the other hand, if he refuses outright and gets gobby, go back that night and smash all his windows.

Cheers mate,as you know I’ve enough to be getting on with.....!
You certainly do, my friend!
I’ll post some pics of the damage tomorrow.
At this rate, this lot will want him working a 12 hour shift down t’pit to work off the debt!

How old is the child by the way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom