Child safety door locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

La Vito loca

Car
Mercedes-Benz Vito 114 BlueTec Long
I have a 2016 MB Vito 114 bluetec & I need to know if there is a child door lock on this model? I can't see anything in the user manual & the salesman who sold me the van couldn't tell me either. My vehicle only has 3 seats all situated in the front & my son who has special needs can open the passenger door when in transit :eek:
Can anyone tell me please whether there is a child safely door lock on a 2016 Vito 114 or is there aftermarket one that I could get? Any advice is much appreciated.
Cheers Iain

Can you manually lock the doors from a button near the driver (I honestly don't know)? Or does it immediately unlock as soon as you try the handle from the inside?

Thinking outside the box why not cover the inner handle with a metal plate or something... held on with some double sided pads would do... thet way you can open it from outside to let him out and it won't be hard to remove if needed

The van locks the outside doors but not the inside
No vehicle has child locks on a front door.
I didn't know that was the case in regards to no child locks on front doors that'll explain why I haven't found one thanks for clearing that up. I like the way you're thinking clk320x with the metal plate but potentially removable too is a nice idea cheers :thumb:

I'm not sure about the legality of disabling a front door so it can't be opened from the inside - it would certainly fail an MOT:

MOT Test Manual: 6.2 Seats and Doors inspection methods and Rejection Reasons

A bit late now but the Dualiner version does have child locks on the sliding doors, and even Isofix on the centre seat in the back.

That's not ideal for me this will now mean that my van that'll be converted into a camper will have to have a rock & roll bed to enable a safer journey for my son.
Thanks

That's not ideal for me this will now mean that my van that'll be converted into a camper will have to have a rock & roll bed to enable a safer journey for my son.
Thanks

I don't see why my idea would be an issue
Come MOT time just remove the cover?

I'm not sure about the legality of disabling a front door so it can't be opened from the inside - it would certainly fail an MOT:

MOT Test Manual: 6.2 Seats and Doors inspection methods and Rejection Reasons

A bit late now but the Dualiner version does have child locks on the sliding doors, and even Isofix on the centre seat in the back.

I seem to recall my dad's series 1 Land Rover having no interior door handle and just opening the window to use the external handle .

Having a guard of some kind to stop my son from opening the passenger door is definitely something I will do cheers. I've paralysed both of my arms & hands so getting into my van is physical enough so having to open the passenger door too is something I'd rather not have to do if I can avoid it. A solution is for my passenger to slide out of the driver's side when exiting my vehicle. I'd like a rock & roll style seats/bed in the back to carry 5 passengers & to enable a calm down seat for my son if he's having meltdown when we need to drive somewhere. I'll post a pic when it's done clk320x thanks for the help.
Iain

Having a guard of some kind to stop my son from opening the passenger door is definitely something I will do cheers. I've paralysed both of my arms & hands so getting into my van is physical enough so having to open the passenger door too is something I'd rather not have to do if I can avoid it. A solution is for my passenger to slide out of the driver's side when exiting my vehicle. I'd like a rock & roll style seats/bed in the back to carry 5 passengers & to enable a calm down seat for my son if he's having meltdown when we need to drive somewhere. I'll post a pic when it's done clk320x thanks for the help.
Iain

No worries Iain good luck :)

I seem to recall my dad's series 1 Land Rover having no interior door handle and just opening the window to use the external handle .
That's one of the easiest ways to do it & whilst that would work for most people it wouldn't be something that would be suitable for me. My son has to sit next to the N/S/F passenger door to stop him from pressing any controls. My son has special needs but he learns how to try & escape situations to do what he wants to do whether that be safe or not. He would learn that method too easily so I want to avoid to if possible. I've paralysed both arms/hands & the window lock button isn't accessible for me to press either. I can't afford to keeps adding more & more adaptions if possible as I'm in danger of running out of money to convert my vehicle into a camper van.

Thanks Dec that's a excellent suggestion. I will certainly look into that as it would be perfect if I can get that done many thanks.
Iain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom