China moving in on Mercedes ownership….

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Connoisseur

SUPPORTER
Car
A205 C200 Cab; Porsche Macan; BMW i3s
Highlighted today by a leading German motor industry commentator, is that Mercedes has been under 20% Chinese ownership for 2 years now with BAIC and Geely sharing roughly 10% each.

More to come one suspects, especially given the aggravated risk created by the Mercedes shares and company structure arrangements.

Food for thought…..

Highlighted today by a leading German motor industry commentator, is that Mercedes has been under 20% Chinese ownership for 2 years now with BAIC and Geely sharing roughly 10% each.

If Geely do for Mercedes what they've done for Volvo, then bring it on!

There is a lot more to worry about China than them owning a big chunk of MB.

The Chinese are trying to buy up countries so owning a car company is chump change for them. They own large chunks of Africa by proxy (Belt & Road Initiative and other activities).

The Chinese are trying to buy up countries so owning a car company is chump change for them. They own large chunks of Africa by proxy (Belt & Road Initiative and other activities).
Terrible, why didn't we think of this hundreds of years ago

And now Africa has unsustainable debt to China.
alabasi We did The UK use to own most of the business in Argentina till Peron came along.
Suez canal with the French. Anglo Arian oil now Shell etc etc

And now Africa has unsustainable debt to China.
alabasi We did The UK use to own most of the business in Argentina till Peron came along.
Suez canal with the French. Anglo Arian oil now Shell etc etc
Unfortunately not only Africa. The Chinese are stripping countries of their natural resources as fast as they can. The Australia started preventing the Chinese buying up the massive sheep and cattle stations (millions of acres) a couple of years ago. When I lived there, any property auction in Oz (a very common way to sell a house there) had several Chinese bidders happy to pay more than the house was worth.

This article is a couple of years old but interesting.

Terrible, why didn't we think of this hundreds of years ago
Just modern day colonisation and asset stripping in action. Other governments are too afraid to say or do anything. The real solution is for us as consumers to stop buying Chinese made products... It's the only way to stop the flow of money... But the world is too addicted to cheap rubbish so I don't see it happening any time soon.

We are known as East African Asians and still have family in Kenya. My uncle owned up until recently a huge construction business building everything from housing estates to shopping centres. The Chinese came in to build after bribing government officials to get contracts. They brought their own workforce, materials and everything else needed. Basically destroyed the local firms within a couple of years.

We are known as East African Asians and still have family in Kenya. My uncle owned up until recently a huge construction business building everything from housing estates to shopping centres. The Chinese came in to build after bribing government officials to get contracts. They brought their own workforce, materials and everything else needed. Basically destroyed the local firms within a couple of years.
Yep - my wife was born there. I grew up in SA and have travelled (and worked ) widely in Africa (up to teh mid 90’s). The last time I was there (in Africa 2009) I was shocked at the number of Chinese people I saw.

Corruption is endemic in sub Sarah Africa.
No it is not - Africa is corrupt top to bottom ;).....show me a country where you can do business without a “facilitator” or paying a bribe.

Just modern day colonisation and asset stripping in action. Other governments are too afraid to say or do anything. The real solution is for us as consumers to stop buying Chinese made products... It's the only way to stop the flow of money... But the world is too addicted to cheap rubbish so I don't see it happening any time soon.
Not everything our of China is cheap rubbish, that is a fallacy. What phone or TV or computer do you own. Chances are it was made in China.

Just modern day colonisation and asset stripping in action.

So we're mad at them for using a carrot instead of a stick?
They're using their money to extend influence. Western countries could do the same, but they don't think it's worth the gamble.

As far as buying Chinese products? It will happen soon enough. The average Income in China is still under $16,000/yr. In the very near future, they will be able afford their own luxury goods and their manufactring will have to turn inwards to meet their own demands.

They're using their money to extend influence. Western countries could do the same, but they don't think it's worth the gamble.

As far as buying Chinese products? It will happen soon enough. The average Income in China is still under $16,000/yr. In the very near future, they will be able afford their own luxury goods and their manufactring will have to turn inwards to meet their own demands.
Economic policy is one issue. However, human rights, their militant activities in the South China Sea and Taiwan policies are very worrying. Locked a guy up this week for having a sit in to remember the killings at Tiamin Square.

Economic policy is one issue. However, human rights, their militant activities in the South China Sea and Taiwan policies are very worrying. Locked a guy up this week for having a sit in to remember the killings at Tiamin Square.

Unfortunately, one has nothing to do with the other.

Not everything our of China is cheap rubbish, that is a fallacy. What phone or TV or computer do you own. Chances are it was made in China.
I did not say it was. However it is true that the cheap rubbish has driven a positive balance of trade for China.

Not at all. Mine was an observation about what is happening.

I'm well aware that China is racing to grow a sufficiently wealthy middle class to create a self sustaining domestic market.... Something they are aware had supported USA for decades.

cheap rubbish has driven a positive balance of trade for China.

Supply and demand. If we demand cheap rubbish, they'll build it to order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom