China rain storms claim 650 lives...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6922369.stm

More than 650 people have been killed during weeks of flash flooding and landslides triggered by heavy rains, Chinese media reports.

The violent summer downpours have affected 119 million people, destroyed 450,000 homes and nearly eight million hectares of crops

Does make you wonder doesn't it? There is always someone worse off somewhere.

Guess the number dead as a % of the population is miniscule, but still :( :( :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6922369.stm

More than 650 people have been killed during weeks of flash flooding and landslides triggered by heavy rains, Chinese media reports.

The violent summer downpours have affected 119 million people, destroyed 450,000 homes and nearly eight million hectares of crops

Guess the number dead as a % of the population is miniscule, but still :( :( :(

You are right, there is always someone worse off than you

The Chinese are losing their factories to India. Can you imagine anything more annoying than working for peanuts and being replaced by someone who works for peanut shells.

It's not getting any better.

Asian Floods

It has been raining heavily in the region for 20 days.

In some rivers, levels have risen 9 or 10 metres.

An estimated 5 million hectares of farmland is underwater.

Almost 20 million people have been displaced.

In Assam, in north-eastern India, three feet of rain fell in July.

As Steve said, "Does make you wonder doesn't it? There is always someone worse off somewhere"

But I wonder if this is as unusual as it has been for us or if it's just topical so we're getting to hear of it. I remember hearing of horrendous floods in India in years gone by, but not seen anything for some time now.

It is a crazy world though and I feel for anyoone who has been affected by the weather extremes - whatever that may have been. All it did for me was got me so fed up I looked for a holiday to get away - along with many many others. At least I could do that and I count my blessings. There are some poor people who have truly lost and my heart goes to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom