China tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ronny85

Car
W211 e270 cdi
Hi
Any experience with China tyres. Like goodride or other brand?
What about winter tyres(also China)
Ronny

Someone put some Link tyres on the front of mine and theyre actually not bad, not had chance to see what they are like in very bad rain though. As I only have 205 16 tho, I'll go back to conti when I change them as theyre cheap at that size.

A lot of budget tyres are manufactured by premier brand tyre makers.

Once upon a time Japanese tyres (& goods) were considered junk, not so long ago Korean tyres (& goods) were a joke, now it is the turn of the Chinese. In 10 years time F1 cars will probably be running around on them.

Hi
Any experience with China tyres. Like goodride or other brand?
What about winter tyres(also China)
Ronny

No grip and crack very easily.

I'd stick with the rubber variety .......

I had good results with bf goodrich, a midrange brand owned by michelin. I think unless money is really tight get the best you can, its the only thing keeping you on the road after all.

What do they use in China?

Don't know but Japan makes Toyo, Yokohama, Panaracer (my down hill bikes running these) and Bridgestone!!

Best tyres right now IMHO are Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3s. Just put a set on my F11 535d and they are superb!! Lovetyres were the cheapest!

They're cheap for a reason.

2 things you shouldn't skimp on are tyres and brakes. If you're on a budget go for Falken's. I swear by them. Currently got ZIEX ZE914's on my E220 CDI but had them on my Passat too.

To give an example, the Toyo tyres made in Japan are significantly different to those made in Korea. To the point that the MG F/TF owners swap brands if they can't get the Japanese variant.

With friends who actually work in the development and testing of tyres, the lowest I would go are the top end of the mid range with the like of Falken, Avon, Toyo (Japanese ones) or Hankook.

I wouldn't touch anything lower like Kumho, Wanli, Nankang or the likes, let alone anything else.

Some of these tyres are made by big manufacturers, but that does not meant he same processes, materials or technology goes anywhere near them.

To hear people saying their tyres are "actually not bad" fills me with dread.

Put the best quality you can afford on, there is often not much difference between something good in the mid range and something very poor.

All dependent on your budget I suppose, but some are shockingly bad. I've used Falkens in the past and they were excellent, but with steady price increases, they aren't exactly budget these days.

On a Subaru we bought recently, the dealer proudly pointed out a set of 4 brand new tyres on it. And they were new, still with the coloured dots visible, but a make I've never heard of. Several months in, not noticed it myself, but a passenger commented about the road noise which led me to re-check the pressures & inspect the tyres. All 4 had varying degrees of cracking along the circumference of the inner sidewalls. I'm not saying that the cracks were cause of the noise, but after a new set of Toyos, silence! Handling was much improved.

My E55 came with Hifly branded tyres with some awful reviews on the 'net, but performed faultlessly till the rears wore down and were all swapped for a set of Continentals. Obviously being a new set, they were much quieter and handled more confidently, but the transformation was not as marked as on the Subaru.

Once upon a time Japanese tyres (& goods) were considered junk, not so long ago Korean tyres (& goods) were a joke, now it is the turn of the Chinese. In 10 years time F1 cars will probably be running around on them.
Very true about the Japanese & Korean products, and potentially true regarding Chinese ones.

However, having ridden motorcycles through the era when Japanese tyres really were junk and having been dumped on my ar$e more than once as a result, I'd be inclined to let others be the guinea pigs with Chinese tyres. No doubt some perform reasonably, but others are definite ditch-finders.

Unless you're going to be leathering it around backroads and roundabouts I don't see the point in shelling out for a top tyre

Got Landsails all round on mine and they've been perfect, no road noise, great grip, good in the wet, no pressure loss etc. I've given them a fair bit of hammering too, not just tinkering about

If I had an AMG then well, completely different story. Anything lower and it's just a money leaking placebo

A lot of crap and manufacturer snobbery talked about tyres. Sure there are some bad ones to avoid like the plague such as goodlife AAA etc but there's some good brands too.

Had Nankang NS2 on my race car and the clk and they performed flawlessly Nankang are now OEM on some manufacturers.

I currently have Tigar Seneris on the CLK Tigar are now a subsidary of Michelin based in Serbia. Their latest tyre is always one step behind that of michelin so now michelin are on pilot sport 4 the new tigar seneris tyre is exactly the same compound as the pilot sport 3. So my clk is effectively running rebranded PS3.

I also wouldn't call Kumho a budget tyre had them on our 450 bhp Audi A8 again performed flawlessly as did the falkens that replaced them.

Currently have Bridgestone potenza on my golf and they are useless and cant handle the 300 bhp trying to get through them and in damp or wet conditions they are lethal. Scrubbing them off nicely and they will be replaced with michelin ps4 covering 20k a year in a daily you cant compromise on tyres or brakes

So my twopenneth for what its worth

High mileage daily then premium tyres

Lower mileage daily medium range tyres such as falken or kumho

Weekender or very low mileage then Nankang or Tigar provide perfectly acceptable performance

Last edited:
I may change the Links if they are bad in the wet but the dry grip is good.

My rule of thin is under 250bhp a mid range like Nexen etc is fine, anything above that it's a no-brained to go premium.

Irecently fitted JO Dunlops to the rear of my XF-R and I can't speak highly enough of them, the BM* X5 I owned *endured* had Wanli on the rear and they were downright dangerous, I've never known a 4x4 be so tail happy.

Unless you're going to be leathering it around backroads and roundabouts I don't see the point in shelling out for a top tyre

Got Landsails all round on mine and they've been perfect, no road noise, great grip, good in the wet, no pressure loss etc. I've given them a fair bit of hammering too, not just tinkering about

If I had an AMG then well, completely different story. Anything lower and it's just a money leaking placebo

Isn't that a little contradictory?

lewyboy said:
Isn't that a little contradictory?

Do elaborate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom