Chinese Carsoft multiplexer which works!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mj2k

Car
2000 Subaru Legacy GT (remapped to 300bhp)
Just in case this is of any use to anybody - I've found a cheap Chinese ripoff of the Carsoft 7.4 multiplexer which actually works :thumb:

And even better, it's only £42.70!

What you'll need to get it working:
  1. One of these: Mercedes MB Carsoft 7.4 Multiplexer
  2. A laptop or PC running Windows XP with a 9 pin serial port.
  3. A suitable car (W210, etc)

It took about 2 weeks to arrive so no use if you're in a hurry, but it connects to the various I2C lines in my W210 and reads the fault codes from all the ecus without any fiddling about with wiring. And even better it comes with the correct 38 pin cable for those difficult Mercs built between the inexpensive OBD2 interface and the old-fashioned 'read the fault code with a paperclip' diags.

And by following the instructions on the mini-cd exactly I installed the ancient verison of Carsoft with no issues and it all worked fine :)

Only thing is, you do need to have a thoroughly decrepit laptop or PC with Windows XP Pro and a 9 pin RS232 (serial) port; nothing else will work properly.

Oops, forgot to mention you need to turn the ignition to position 2 (ignition lights on, etc) otherwise it won't find anything.

Last edited:
Hopefully this will help someone out! Good job

I had to put a C4 purchase on a back-burner for a time being, however I already had a Toughbook CF-19 setup for it, so this [cheap] one will be an ideal temp option, thanks for the tip! - just ordered one. :thumb:

How do i reset the trans codes with the carsoft program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do i reset the trans codes with the carsoft program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the version I've got you just scan the transmission on it's own which will show all of the fault codes, and reset from there.

If your carsoft doesn't do that try a manual transmission reset, and check your multiplexer actually has all the wires soldered - Carsoft 7.4 Multiplexer Diagnostic Tool for MB - Page 24 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

The case for the multiplexer arrived yesterday, so I treated it to MB decal :cool:

My diagnostic kit is ready now:

34678459190_a6fc75f0a6_o.jpg

Thanks again mj2k :thumb:

I doubt it ;) - it's a lot cheaper - see the original post.

The case for the multiplexer arrived yesterday, so I treated it to MB decal :cool:

My diagnostic kit is ready now:

34678459190_a6fc75f0a6_o.jpg

Thanks again mj2k :thumb:

No probs, your setup looks very professional :thumb:

I bought one and built an xp machine to use with it two years ago but the disc was corrupt so it was all in vain. Is anybody able to provide me with a copy of the software on a cd please?

Not a lot cheaper when you add the cost of a WindowsXP laptop into the equation though. :D

I knocked mine together using a beaten up old Dell laptop for the princely sum of £110 all-in, Ebay is a wonderful thing sometimes ;)

I bought one and built an xp machine to use with it two years ago but the disc was corrupt so it was all in vain. Is anybody able to provide me with a copy of the software on a cd please?

Have you done a Google search for Carsoft 7.4 downloads?

Chances are the version I've got will be the same as one downloaded off one of those random sites, and it works just fine as long as you follow the readme.txt word-for-word

I have tried, thanks but they all seem to frighten the security software that tells me dire things will happen if I dare to download it.

I have tried, thanks but they all seem to frighten the security software that tells me dire things will happen if I dare to download it.

You get the same warnings with all of the Chinese clones IIRC. Best bet is to turn off the antivirus whilst it's installing, then ensure it doesn't connect to the internet / run anything sensitive once it's installed. After recent Windows XP security scares this is the most sensible option anyway.

Or if you must use the XP laptop for stuff other than running the Carsoft diags (e.g. if you work for the NHS :p) you could follow the guide below and delete the potentially infected file:

Carsoft 7.4 Multiplexer Diagnostic Tool for MB - Page 28 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Not a lot cheaper when you add the cost of a WindowsXP laptop into the equation though. :D

True, but I bought and setup the Toughbook for the [eventual] purchase of a proper C4 multiplexer kit, so it doesn't count :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom