Chinese in central London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We stayed at Radisson Hampshire right on Leicester square, quite expensive but very good.

After a couple of drinks around Covent Garden and Piccadilly we headed off in search of a chinese, checking out those we'd been recommended.

Although the reviews of Yauatcha were good, we decided to see if we could find anywhere around walking distance of Gerrads Street.

China Place seemed quite so we headed down to Fung Shing which was packed. The small bar area was full so we continued round to Gerrads corner which again was very busy. Avoiding Gerrads street itself we went up along Shaftsbury Avenue to the New Mayflower. The restaurant looked full but what was most noticeable was they were nearly all Chinese people eating, which we took to be a good sign.
We joined a small queue and were seated reasonably quickly downstairs.
The food was excellent, and the service was good. No rush, we ordered each course individually. Price was very also reasonable.

However I would say that this restaurant does not set out to be a flashy, top end, high profile place, more a traditional good quality Chinese.

If your out to impress someone with flashy surroundings and over attentive service you'd be disappointed, but if you wanted top quality traditional chinese food at very reasonable prices I'd highly recommend the New Mayflower in Shaftsbury Avenue. I'd certainly go back

Most importantly, the wife loved it.

Spent Saturday ambling around central London and up and down the river before catching a late train home.

So now I'm back in the good books the hunt for an big old AMG continues...............

Last edited:
but what was most noticeable was they were nearly all Chinese people eating, which we took to be a good sign.

almost fool proof way of judging the quality of a chinese restaurant in London :)

sounds like Mayflower has rebranded itself to New Mayflower.

That place is so funny, what I call an NFA (No F$cking About) eating establishment. Really good value but if you want a romantic meal for 2 sat on your own whispering sweet nothings, then forget it. If you have to be somewhere afterwards, its brilliant. Prices arent high either.

It has to be done once just for a laugh :D

Agree, went there quite a while back with some friends, the 'service' was an experience. They did try to get fast through put / turnover.

I remember we were literally in the middle of our starters when they bring out the main course out and take the starters out of our hands!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom