Chinese Space Walk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
Congratulations to the Chinese on this amazing feat but a big raspberry to the Sky News commentator.

For twenty minutes we had to listen to this new reporter telling us just how heavy the Chinese space suit was and how archaic compared to the American system. How I chuckled when eventually an expert was interviewed and he commented on how these suits are state of the art and possibly more technically advanced than those of the US!

Luckily I can watch an English talking Chinese News Station, a button was pressed and hey presto, a much better coverage. Sky showed the hatch being opened, but they did not comment on something I saw........ When the hatch was pulled open, I saw debris hurtle out from within the module and disappear into space. I just hope these were not the instructions on how to close the door!:devil: :D Anyway we watched one astronaut climb out, give TV cameras a very nice wave and then he went for a short 'walk-about.

What we saw on the Chinese Channel was this astronaut climbing out, and then he was given a Chinese National flag which he very proudly waved for the camera. Nice touch and no doubt the front page picture for all Chinese newspapers. The astronaut only had a very short space walk and within minutes he was back inside the module. A very short, but very significant event with far reaching ramifications. Will China build a Space Station, is China getting ready for a Moon mission? Is the Space race back on again?

Congratulations China

Regards
John

I watched as well, very good, I think though if was Britian was doing it, would we have been alowed to wave our flag? Doubt it!
I also saw the jetman cross the channel, 2 world 1st's in 2 days, fabulous:)

I watched as well, very good, I think though if was Britian was doing it, would we have been alowed to wave our flag? Doubt it!
I also saw the jetman cross the channel, 2 world 1st's in 2 days, fabulous:)
Totally agree with all your points.

Chinese news has just noticed the piece of debris I saw and they have reported it as paper. I reckon it could be a note for the milkman or paperboy (two pints today please) Apologies to those politically correct members of this forum for the using the words 'man' and 'boy' :p :p :) Please insert the word 'person'.

What surprised me was that the English speaking expert stated this paper will not burn up on re-entry. (he sounds like a retired US astronaut)

The whole EVA took just 20 minutes from start to finish.

I can remember the very fussy, black and white pictures of the first US space walks. The Chinese pictures are as good as anything I have seen regarding live space coverage, but no doubt if the US was doing its first space-walk today; we would have a similar quality of picture

Regards
John

Edit
Sky channel 510 CCTV-9

We have now seen that Chinese flag being waved several times.

Last edited:
I thought the synchronised mission control applause sequence was excellent. Nice straight rows in colour co-ordinated overalls. But the synchronised space walk/flag waving ceremony was poor - one guy didn't even have a flag. And where were all the fireworks? -the Olympics were much better example of " the people as puppets" IMHO.:rolleyes: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7639238.stm
Seriously- a major achievement by China, but I can't divorce it in my mind from the political background behind it.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom