Chinese tyres - truly awful!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tim.100

Car
202&463
Having seen the reviews, I had decided:
1) never to buy them for a car
2) never to buy a car with such tyres fitted

I then rented a Vauxhall Astra (branded Opel) in Turkey. My first experience with unbranded Chinese tyres. They were bl----y awful, to the point of dangerous. I'm a careful driver, but had to slow down a lot to stay within their limits. They even lost traction when climbing a steep (25%) hill in first. Steering was numb and braking was diabolical - they locked up on a few occasions without much brake pressure.

So the 'internet consensus' on Chinese tyres is right - AVOID.

One day this may change. I recently saw a new G-wagen at Brooklands with Kumho tyres. They were an unknown brand years back, but have realised that its the UK is a competitive market where quality (mostly) counts.

If it's electrical or anything to do with safety I tend to stay away from anything made in China. I value my life too much to put it in the hands of a nation with very little moral fibre.

Out of interest, how did you determine they were Chinese tyres (as opposed to Korean, Malaysian, Indonesian, etc)?

If it's electrical or anything to do with safety I tend to stay away from anything made in China. I value my life too much to put it in the hands of a nation with very little moral fibre.

Posted on a phone/computer made in China, via a modem/router made in China, to a server made in China.

Most things we use/drive/live with have been mostly manufactured in China despite the brand name suggesting something different.

I buy a lot from China for my business (and as such have spent enough time there to be reasonably qualified with an opinion), there are certain areas where you can drive down the street looking at the factory names and be forgiven for thinking you're in Germany.

It's the worlds factory, there are good, mediocre and bad products from China like any other country.

You might want to avoid this Chinese Rubbish then....

Pirelli%20CN_zpsqgwpkqtt.jpeg

continental%20cn_zpsuvae7w09.jpg

Last edited:
I love the Chinese !

Deep fried chicken with extra chilli is my fave !

Posted on a phone/computer made in China, via a modem/router made in China, to a server made in China.

Most things we use/drive/live with have been mostly manufactured in China despite the brand name suggesting something different.

I buy a lot from China for my business (and as such have spent enough time there to be reasonably qualified with an opinion), there are certain areas where you can drive down the street looking at the factory names and be forgiven for thinking you're in Germany.

It's the worlds factory, there are good, mediocre and bad products from China like any other country.

You might want to avoid this Chinese Rubbish then....

Pirelli%20CN_zpsqgwpkqtt.jpeg

continental%20cn_zpsuvae7w09.jpg
I could not have summed it up better :thumb: posted on Apple i pad made in ....china ;)

I did say unbranded Chinese tyres in the text - should have put 'unbranded' in the Title too. Some of the above comments were probably made in response to the 2nd post though.

A few other points:
  • Tyres were marked as 'Made in China'
  • My rental was outside the EU, so the EU quality criteria did not apply.
  • The rental cost £20/day, but I have rented cars in the UK for a little less.

Last edited:
I suspect some of it was down the the Vauxhall Astra?
-t

Yes, we did comment that our W202 C-class has spoilt us in terms of quality! Olly @PCS keeps that car in a very good condition - he tells me what it needs, I spend the money.

With such cheap tyres the rental Astra probably had sub-standard brake parts too. But I couldn't verify that assumption.

If you asked a UK manufacturer, big or small, to produce a cheap nasty device that does not meet any acceptable standards and is potentially dangerous, chances are you will get a resounding NO as reply, even if you promise to export the goods to a far away country.

If you try this in the Far East... you are likely to get a mixture of replies.

Not everything made in China is necessarily bad or dangerous... As others pointed out, almost every major corporation has manufacturing facilities in China, including Apple, HP, Dell, etc, and Tier-1 automotive manufactures such as Bosch and Delphi.

So in short a tyre marked Made in UK or Made in Germany is very unlikely to fall short of recognised national and international standards. A tyre Made in China might or might not meet such standards. In Theory, if it is sold in the UK, it should - but this can be very difficult to police and enforce.

Last edited:
If you asked a UK manufacturer, big or small, to produce a cheap nasty device that does not meet any acceptable standards and is potentially dangerous, chances are you will get a resounding NO as reply, even if you promise to export the goods to a far away country.

If you try this in the Far East... you are likely to get a mixture of replies.

Not everything made in China is necessarily bad or dangerous... As others pointed out, almost every major corporation has manufacturing facilities in China, including Apple, HP, Dell, etc, and Tier-1 automotive manufactures such as Bosch and Delphi.

So in short a tyre marked Made in UK or Made in Germany is very unlikely to fall short of recognised national and international standards. A tyre Made in China might or might not meet such standards. In Theory, if it is sold in the UK, it should - but this can be very difficult to police and enforce.
I still like the days when things where made to last ...I get great satisfaction when I flush my 117 year old toilet anyway enough about my fetishes lol

Before my MB, my weekend car was a FWD 2.0 petrol, nice little car but not that fast - one of the best handling FWD cars I've driven. Anyway, bought it with chinese tyres and swapped them off within a week. They were not good at all.

People often ask what the best 'mod' for their car is: I always say a good set of tyres, it'll transform the way it behaves on the road!

Ha!

And I was called racist last week for thinking that English was not someone's first language?

It's a funny old world.

Deane x said:
I still like the days when things where made to last ...I get great satisfaction when I flush my 117 year old toilet anyway enough about my fetishes lol

I've just got hold of a toilet you'd like.

1935 Baby Blakes .. It's off a beautiful wooden boat , a Dunkirk Little Ship !

Yep. Exactly like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom