Chinese tyres - truly awful!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's all been chromed on mine , but quite covered in verdegris :(
You could have it rechromed or dechromed ..I restore brass works eg taps and shower heads but don't do chrome work

Last edited:
You could have it rechromed or dechromed ..I restore brass works eg taps and shower heads but don't do chrome work

Quite a bit of the chrome has come off , what would take the rest off and I could polish what's beneath.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow

Oddly enough I have just changed all 4 'Event WL905' Chinese tyres on my newly acquired 2011 C250 CDi estate.

For some reason the dealer (independent) saw fit to shoe the car with them.

I have just replaced them with Michelin Pilot 3's.

The Michelin's are noticeably quieter, give a more comfortable ride, and grip in the wet, unlike the Event's that seem to be a dry weather tyre as far as I can discern!

Yes, the Events are half the price of the Michelins, but what price safety in the wet?

Cheers,
Robert

Quite a bit of the chrome has come off , what would take the rest off and I could polish what's beneath.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow
The best way to take it off is electrolysis which is the same to put it on . but if it's coming off You could sand the rest off and use a wire wheel on a drill for tricky bits which I have done my self ..brass is a great metal and will always polish up , when you get the chrome off sand with smaller and smaller grit then polish with a rag wheel on a drill and some brasso , a lot of work but every time you look at it ,it will make you smile . Your always welcome to pm me with any questions , where is the toilet going ?

Bought four Nankang tyres and was very surprised how well they're performing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2c9Ry0JfMw Obviously the vid has a marketing slant to it and more sensastionalist than needs be but a 14m difference in stopping distance resulting in the cheapnese* ditchfinders still doing 31mph when the Contis had stopped is fairly significant. As said there's also typically very noticable differences in noise and comfort as well

ETA http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Autobild-50-Tyre-Braking-Test.htm

* Cheapnese and Chinese are two entirely different things. The former is always cheap tat even if it's not cheap because of a brand name. The later can be good and when it is the price is typically not so different. An example that's been talked about on a welding forum recently is steel... Warning Chinese steel imports could be safety threat - Telegraph the article is about alloying elements used by the Chinese for tax rebates, talk to the people that makes stuff with it and you'll hear about uneven wall thickness, twisted/bent structual sections etc

The best way to take it off is electrolysis which is the same to put it on . but if it's coming off You could sand the rest off and use a wire wheel on a drill for tricky bits which I have done my self ..brass is a great metal and will always polish up , when you get the chrome off sand with smaller and smaller grit then polish with a rag wheel on a drill and some brasso , a lot of work but every time you look at it ,it will make you smile . Your always welcome to pm me with any questions , where is the toilet going ?

Not sure really.

A chum of my dad's owns the boat and has just replaced it with the same toilet ( they still make them ! £6k though !!! :eek: ) ... He was going to bin it , but I said let me have it I'll see if I can clean it up and use it as a display piece in the chandlery at the marina.

Our Approved Used C Class came with Chinese 'Runway' branded tyres. I was prepared to ditch them straight away but actually they were OK ... good grip, even in the wet. The only bad thing about them really was that they were rather noisy.

My current car came with some dodgy Evergreen tyres on the back, I've put 30k miles on them and they're still going strong.

And they haven't killed me yet.

My current car came with some dodgy Evergreen tyres on the back, I've put 30k miles on them and they're still going strong.

And they haven't killed me yet.

They probably won't either but look at the stopping distances in the tyrereviews link i posted. Not much in it between the top 6 but take the Goodyear F1 Assymetric 2, currently they can be picked up for ~ £65 ea (225/45/r17), the Hankooks that came 3rd for ~ £60ea. Something from near the bottom of the list like the Sunny or Wanli are near as damn it £40 ea but took nearly 20m more to stop from 100kph in the test.

That's the difference between an Oh $%!* moment on a 60mph A road and hitting something at over 30mph. For the sake of £80 - £100

The extra ££ almost certainly buys something quieter and more comfortable too

Posted on a phone/computer made in China, via a modem/router made in China, to a server made in China.

Most things we use/drive/live with have been mostly manufactured in China despite the brand name suggesting something different.

I buy a lot from China for my business (and as such have spent enough time there to be reasonably qualified with an opinion), there are certain areas where you can drive down the street looking at the factory names and be forgiven for thinking you're in Germany.

It's the worlds factory, there are good, mediocre and bad products from China like any other country.

You might want to avoid this Chinese Rubbish then....

Pirelli%20CN_zpsqgwpkqtt.jpeg

continental%20cn_zpsuvae7w09.jpg

The fact remains that a proportion of products manufactured in China are not of an adequate safety standard. This does not happen with products manufactured in Germany for instance. That is why all the electrical switches, sockets and light fittings in my recently renovated house are researched to specifically be not of Chinese origin!

I have a friend who works in fire investigation, ask him about CE marked Chinese power supplies... he's seen plenty of them... do the math as they say!

Ha!

And I was called racist last week for thinking that English was not someone's first language?

It's a funny old world.

What is racist about my statement? The Chinese nation has a woeful record on human and animal rights... fact! That is not the same as saying all Chinese people are morally bankrupt as clearly that's not true!

Anthropologists have recently discovered that the part of the brain that deals with this is a late development in human evolution and is underdeveloped in Chinese people [compared to the rest of the human population] so maybe they are - a little bit..???

hotrodder could you kindly provide a link to the welding forum, that would be of real interest... :):)

I can second the thumbs-up for Nankang tyres, I had a set on my old Vauxhall Senator which wer much grippier, quieter, and smoother-riding than the P600s I took off.

If the progress the Chinese have made in other areas is anything to go by, they will be challenging Michelin, Continental, Goodyear etc soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom