Chip Fat For Diesels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter103

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 350 Bluetec Prem+Coupe.
There's an Eco fuel station near me selling cooking oil at £1=12 a litre, our local high street garage sells Diesel for 99.5 a litre. Its a funny old world. :doh:

Hi,
You can run old technology Diesel engines (using rotary and PD fuel pumps) on many different oils and fuels.
I would not, however, dare use chip oil or homemade diesel in modern common rail equipped engines. The tolerances and pressures are much higher and the seals are easily damaged by acidic fuel.
Cheers
Steve

Great idea every time you pass people they think of Harry Ramsdens

Aren't they supposed to charge fuel duty and VAT like they do on normal fuels? The cost of the Diesel oil to the retailer is only around 20-30p (varies), the rest is tax, so you would have thought that the scope for saving is only within these limits?

Hi,
You can run old technology Diesel engines (using rotary and PD fuel pumps) on many different oils and fuels.
I would not, however, dare use chip oil or homemade diesel in modern common rail equipped engines. The tolerances and pressures are much higher and the seals are easily damaged by acidic fuel.
Cheers
Steve

I did with my 405td - but ended up with first-time starting problems.Can't recall if it was Bosch or Lucas pump.Even gradually going from 50/50 veg /diesel to 5/95 veg /diesel did not help.Only complete stopping of veg oil fixed starting problems

...Hardly any diesel cars - just trucks use diesel here.
Cheers
Steve

....which is as it should be. :D

....which is as it should be. :D

Which is how it was, was it the late 70's or early 80's when diesel cars arrived.?
Doesn't seem that long ago when only lorries and buses ran on diesel, and now there are moves afoot to return to the good old days of petrol, and electric vehicles. Might not be too long before we're allowed to burn coal again, bring it on.

PS I've just become Hardcore, whoopee!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom