Chip for a 2006 SPRINTER 2.7 416 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fonthill

Car
Sprinter
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend the best chip for my Sprinter 2.7 416 CDI? There are many (ebay etc)on the market or is it better to get a proper performance garage to do it?

Avoid chips which just fool an engine and get a proper remap done. Much better/less risky

Avoid chips which just fool an engine and get a proper remap done. Much better/less risky
Just out of interest or curiosity, why do you want to re-map or change the engine controls on a cargo van?
Tuercas viejas

Hello and welcome Fonthill. Prepare to be educated on 'tuning boxes/chips' You have come to the right place for candid and honest opinions on 'tuning' . I will stand back now.
But for what it's worth I think a proper re map done by an expert company has got to be better than a 'box' you just plug in line with your ECU.

The extra and earlier torque makes the engine more flexible thus makes any vehicle easier to drive .

The extra and earlier torque makes the engine more flexible thus makes any vehicle easier to drive e .
Well from experience of repairing Sprinters that usually entails raising the injection pressure by about 100 bar, amongst other things, (like fixing/locking the EGR at 6%) .
The injectors is are of the ball & seat variety which are prone to internal erosion anyway in their standard form. So you often get early over fueling & excess smoke emission after a few thousand miles .
This is especially so if you retain your original injection equipment without renewal.
In any case the brakes on Sprinters are not the most powerful so it can get scary if you are trying to do an emergency stop or hard speed reduction. above 60 mph.
All food for thought
Tuercas Viejas

100 bar isn't much .

Chocolate injectors for you .

How do the Sprinters with OM651's fair ?

100 bar isn't much .

Chocolate injectors for you .

How do the Sprinters with OM651's fair ?
Pretty good.
Marred a bit by the vacuum operated water pump & associated controls vacuum etc all interconnected to the turbo control.
All happens at about 75,000 miles.

The other "biggey" is the exhaust system detaching itself from the head/exhaust manifold, and then the exhaust system support bracket attached to the bell housing.
Tears chunks of metal off the tranmsmission case if neglected all due to poor service & PM activities.
With it goes the DPF/SCR Cat NOox sensors and associated issues to put right.
Can be a big wallet flush for the operator.
Tuercas viejas

Just out of interest or curiosity, why do you want to re-map or change the engine controls on a cargo van?
Tuercas viejas
I am thinking of buying a 7 meter motorhome that has a 416 CID and reckon more power, better MPG wouldn't be a bad thing!

I know nothing about sprinters, but I assume if it is a 2.7 it's an OM612. If so I can say that remapping this engine in an ML transformed the driveability , both solo and towing. Just because it's remapped does not mean it can, legally, be driven any faster so I don't get the argument about brakes being an issue. Also the fuel economy DID improve, this is still counter-intuitive to me though. (the consumption was still piss poor though)

The Sprinters on this side has/had a OM612 2002 to 2004 under the Dodge or Freightliner badging.
Then 2004 until model run out in 2006 it got the OM647.
Since its a CARGO van the vehicle gets about 22 to 24 mpg on average.
That's about 26 to 28 UK mpg.

Fuel injector internal wear is a big issue due to potential erosion wear associated with ball & seat style inectors found in both engine variants
And yes 100 bar can make a big difference between passing or failing an E test when the injectors are worn.
And yes if the FIE is new, you often may see an improvement in fuel consumption but experience slight erosion on the toriodial cavity.
That was an old trick by engine manufactueres to improve stated fuel consumption stats.

Comparing an ML with Sprinter is a poor comparison, you are not comparing eggs to eggs
Tuercas viejas

l

Some years ago I bought a plug in chip for a Vito 113CDI work van. It did improve performance a bit, but only if I ran it on premium diesel. And the fuel consumption increased.

I ran a plug n play from bluesparks ,on my e320 . I got 4k from a brand new pair of Avon zv7 tyres. 😁😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom