Chip Shortage Slows Car Production

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good point, you would hope that MB is allocating any stock of unobtainable items evenly based on demand regardless of powertrain, but I wouldn't put it past them (or any car manufacturer) to divert stock EVs; given that's where the new technology is and possibly the highest margins in car sales.

I think the issue for 'catch-up' manufacturer (those who are trying to catch-up with Tesla) is that they will not want to miss out on the opportunity to establish themselves in the market as mainstream EV suppliers. So now is not a good time for them to not have cars available for customers buying their first EV...

It would be interesting to know if MB prioritised getting EVs built and shipped to customers, over ICE cars.
Think this could well apply to "crossover " models----EV or hybrid versions of existing ICE models. May not apply to new platform EV models which may be floor-up new designs with new assembly lines????

Allowing yourself to be tripped by one component? All those smaller suppliers on hold also. World wide depression coming me thinks. Something will give and It won’t be good. Covid, China , chips chaos.

Allowing yourself to be tripped by one component? All those smaller suppliers on hold also. World wide depression coming me thinks. Something will give and It won’t be good. Covid, China , chips chaos.
so time to dig the shelter then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom