Chipex V Paints4U

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dokalj

MB Enthusiast
Hi all,

I hope everyone is well.

I just wanted to know if anyone has any first hand experience ith chipex? Is it really that simple?

Or would I be better off getting a 100ml tin of paint from Paints4U and save £30?

Thanks again

dokalj

Hi,
I appreciate that this is an old thread but has anybody had any experience of Chipex since this post? Just got a stone chip (bonnet) on my new pride & joy and it's costing me sleep
;-)

I had to return the CHIPEX kit because the colour did not match at all. I contacted them and they are sending a replacement hopefully the right colour. I bought a touch up from the dealer for £7 which is a perfect match. Loads of elbow grease with the polish to make it blend though.
The CHIPEX kit method works in principle and its simple but for me it failed on the basics. Expensive too.

You're right about the price, it is on the high side. The chip is right in the middle of the bonnet so any hash-job I make of the touch-up will stand out from a mile. I have ordered the kit but will do a sanity check before using it - and check the paint match. I'll post back results.

It will be good to see how you both get on :)

The replacement paint arrived today and it does match this time so fair play to CHIPEX.
after a fair bit of playing, I am not convinced is value for money. It will fill the chip but when you apply the blending solution, most of the paint comes off so you have a chip partially filled. It doesn't matter how many times you repeat it, I can't get it to blend. better than the original chip and fool proof but by no means perfect.

Thanks SmartMAC...surely the finish you achieved could be done with Paints4U paint?

I blends better with the Mercedes repair kit but it is more work as you have to polish and polish to make it flat. The chipex kit is very easy to apply and easy to flatten with the blending solution included. It is also easy to remove if you make a mess.

Thanks SmartMAC :)

SmartMAC said:
I blends better with the Mercedes repair kit but it is more work as you have to polish and polish to make it flat. The chipex kit is very easy to apply and easy to flatten with the blending solution included. It is also easy to remove if you make a mess.

Thanks for the update. At least there is a way out if I get it wrong. My kit should be here next week so I'll hopefully get chance to have a go before my holidays at the weekend. I'll update once done.

Cheers,

Well, sorry about the delay in posting but 2 weeks holiday and 2 weeks of rain hampered progress. Anyway, I eventually used the Chipex kit to repair a stone chip on my bonnet. The paint match was very good and the instructions on how to use the kit were clear. Unfortunately my experience was the same as SmartMAC's. The blending solution (small amount)tended to remove the new paint, thereby revealing the stone chip. The positives with this kit are the ease with which you can blend the touch-up and that the surrounding paintwork is not damaged. I will have another go at this and build up the repair in layers, this may prevent the blending solution from removing all the paint from the repair. Overall though not the end result I had hoped for.

Waste of time IMHO. You will never get the results they show in the promotional video.

Why spend £50 on chipex when you can get the whole bonnet resprayed for 3-4 times that much at a decent bodyshop?

Why spend £50 on chipex when you can get the whole bonnet resprayed for 3-4 times that much at a decent bodyshop?

Because it keeps the car original, it also saves the car been off the road and possible further damage by others whilst at the paint shop. .

I had some paint from paints4u fromthe W202 in almandine and it was spot on. Havign said that, also got some Steel Blue for a BMW and it wasn't as close so could be a bit hit and miss. Either that or the aerosols were better.

Overall though, decent stab if you have the time to spend doing it right.

m.

Because it keeps the car original, it also saves the car been off the road and possible further damage by others whilst at the paint shop. .

I respect your view, but I think often there's a lot of tosh spoken about keeping things original. I'd rather have a resprayed bonnet than an "original" one littered with stone chips. On a slight tangent, it always makes me laugh when car sellers try to turn paint damage into a positive attribute on the basis that the car is "original". Err, you mean tatty and devoid of upkeep. Sure, originality and provenence might be crucial on a classic ferrari, but for modern cars, nah.

I respect your view, but I think often there's a lot of tosh spoken about keeping things original. I'd rather have a resprayed bonnet than an "original" one littered with stone chips. On a slight tangent, it always makes me laugh when car sellers try to turn paint damage into a positive attribute on the basis that the car is "original". Err, you mean tatty and devoid of upkeep. Sure, originality and provenence might be crucial on a classic ferrari, but for modern cars, nah.

If I were looking at a used motor and there were no chips on the front I'd suspect accidental damage and may walk away as I would expect some chips, who spends money on a car they are about to sell unless it was in a bit of a mess of course. That said todays paint's do chip far easier than they used to hence the sales increase in protective film. .

Sure, or you may just be walking away from a well cared for car which has wanted for nothing. I know each and every imperfection in my paintwork and am slowly eradicating them all. Others say it is mint. All I see are the defects! Recently had the whole front end resprayed to rid of stone chips. Got a small scuff on my last car fixed pre sale. Some people are just a bit obsessed and OCD about car care, and I'd sooner buy from one of those!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom