Chipped Windscreen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thrash

Car
C205 C200 Coupe
So my car has been into my local dealer, once again, for a few days and I've gotten it back with a chipped windscreen. I didn't notice it this morning when I collected it but did when I went out at lunch but don't have any evidence that it wasn't there before it went in and that it didn't happen after I collected it this morning.

I spoke to Halfords earlier who charge £25 if it's repairable, which I believe it is as it's not particularly big. Anyone used them? They're conveninently local to me and could probably do it later today. Otherwise, my insurance is with DirectLine and I believe you have to pay £30 for it to be repaired or £75 to have it replaced by Autoglass. Just worried a poor repair will be just as noticeable.

Any recommendations?

Repairs are still noticeable, it’s more about filling the chip and helping stop it developing into a crack.

Repairs are still noticeable, it’s more about filling the chip and helping stop it developing into a crack.
I had a very small chip and as you say, the repair just filled it - it was still there !

Some repairs are more successful than others: I had a small star chip repaired on my E63's screen and unless you knew where to look, it really was very difficult to see. 4 months later and some a-hole came blasting past me on a road that had been top dressed and that did for the screen completely, though.

One thing I would say is to get any repair done as a matter of urgency as once moisture gets in the damaged area it will get worse very quickly if it freezes, and any repair will be far more obvious.

Cheers for the replies, I know it will never be totally invisible but was hoping a better job would be less noticeable.
I figured I should avoid Halfords as it sounded like any of their sales assistants would be willing to have a go o_O
Gone with Autoglass and booked in for tomorrow; at least their guys are doing it all day everyday.

I've had a chip on a screen previously which has gone on to crack.

I thought that was marketing BS by Autoglass previously... :D

As said, you could be lucky and it be barely noticeable afterwards.

Well they will come out and tell you that there is a risk that while they try to repair the screen it might crack,it is important that the screen is dry ,sometimes you can just make out where the repair is,it can be annoying if in your view while driving,with Autoglass if you are not happy with the repair they will credit the cost of the repair as long as you have a screen fitted by them on your insurance.

i was pretty sure that insurance companies don't charge an excess if they are able to repair it, but do charge the excess if it is replaced. I would go via insurance personally as they use Autoglass typically who do this sort of thing day in day out and all in the convenience at your own home location

i was pretty sure that insurance companies don't charge an excess if they are able to repair it, but do charge the excess if it is replaced. I would go via insurance personally as they use Autoglass typically who do this sort of thing day in day out and all in the convenience at your own home location

Used to be the case.

Then they started charging £10 maybe late 90s / early 00s (?) which then went up over time. £30 is the highest I've heard so far.

Yep £10 excess for me, not sure where I got £30 from! Went through my insurers to get it done by Autoglass who did a good job; end result is barely visible.

good job. £10 is fair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom