Chipped Windscreen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thrash

Car
C205 C200 Coupe
Hi guys

I was travelling down a dual carriageway and heard something hit the windscreen, I could see a mark where it had hit but was hoping it was just a bit of a scuff or something. I cleaned the windscreen to get a better look at it and I can see 3 tiny little chips all next to each other, if I run my finger over the windscreen they feel rough but they're not (yet) like a star or web - just dots!

I went onto Autoglass and they say not to bother repairing it:
Because the chip is very small, it will only affect the surface of the glass, not the deeper structure which keeps your windscreen strong. This means the damage won't spread, even during bad weather or bumpy journeys.

It's very similar to this image I found online actually:
330v0x3.jpg

Is this likely to get worse? In which case is it possible to repair now so its less noticeable?

Thanks in advance!

If it's just on the surface, then no it won't get worse. However, it may cause damage to the wiper blade if the edges of the scuffs are sharp.

That looks OK to me, it shouldn't get any worse.
I had similar damage on my Porsche's screen, and it was still the same when I sold it six years later.

Hi guys

I was travelling down a dual carriageway and heard something hit the windscreen, I could see a mark where it had hit but was hoping it was just a bit of a scuff or something. I cleaned the windscreen to get a better look at it and I can see 3 tiny little chips all next to each other, if I run my finger over the windscreen they feel rough but they're not (yet) like a star or web - just dots!

I went onto Autoglass and they say not to bother repairing it:

It's very similar to this image I found online actually:
330v0x3.jpg

Is this likely to get worse? In which case is it possible to repair now so its less noticeable?

Thanks in advance!
My Audi has some very small chips, most smaller than that. The only issue is when the sun shines off them!

I wouldn’t worry about them...looks very minor.

OK cool, cheers guys! Thankfully they're not in my line of sight otherwise they would bug the hell out of me. Hopefully they wont get any worse when winter comes along.

Well as others have said not too much to worry about the reason Autoglass has said leave it alone is because you have three small chips but close to each other they would all need a separate repair,and that would cause all sorts of problems,

I did try to DIY repair a tiny chip on my previous car using a kit similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IPS4APU/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

(There are many other similar kits available from Amazon and eBay)

Seems like it would have worked if I applied myself to it... but I found the whole process to be too fiddly and gave up on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom