Chipping a C220CDi - worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I "think" this may be the answer: Driving along at a constant speed, you would be using "X%" of throttle and therefore "X" amount of fuel. If your engine had more torque, you would presumely be using slighty less "Y%" of throttle and therefore only "Y" amount of fuel.
If I'm totaly wrong (as does happen at times!) I'm sure someone will be along with the correct explination.

The remap effects the engine in two ways:

1: The base map (the one you use when at steady speed) has it's fueling reduced which actually give's more power because there is more available oxygen for it to react with therfore burning more efficiently. The reasons manafactures don't run this way is that excess fuel can help with long term reliability when services are far apart by lubricating the cylinder walls. However if you service more often this shouldn't be a problem. This is where your fuel saving comes from, at any given revs less fuel is put in and more torque comes out.

2: The transient map (the one that steps in when you floor it) has it's fueling greatly increased this is to give the best aceleration when the throttle is suddenly opened and the base map cannot react quick enough to the incoming air. This means that if you drive agressively your fuel ecomomy will be worse than before but you will go quicker.

So to conclude with a remapped car if you drive slowly in a high gear at a constant speed your economy will improve usally about 10%. If you use lots of revs and accelerate constanly your economy will reduce exponentially. Power increases can be up to 40% on some turbo diesles!

Hope this helps.

I had my 330D remapped through DMS. To be honest, I didn't really notice much of a difference apart from the psychological impulse to stick the boot in.

I had it put on the rolling road and got figures that were spot on standard for the car. but since it had covered 150K by that time, it could have simply brought things back to normal again from a prior and tired state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom