Chips Away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timk

Car
VW Passat Alltrack, E39 BMW M5, Mercedes C55 AMG Wagon
Anyone used them - if so opinions good/ bad??

Am aware these guys are a franchise and therefore quality must vary by area; but would appreciate opinions on whether it's worth using a proper bodyshop or one of these guys for something like a bumper scuff or scratch repair...any experiences to report??

As you say, good and bad depending on the local area. Might be worth doing a search for chips away in your area.

Those who have had good results have had very good results. Sometimes, a friendly dealer that doesn't have a bodyshop will also point you in the right direction... the can recommend the people they use to touch up trade ins.

m.

Don't do it. I had a mine done as someone keyed the car down one side. Whilst others may not be able to tell easily, you will always notice the darker shade as they only paint small sections and not the whole panel. Secondly there will always be some dust stuck in the paint as its done outdoors. Thirdly, its water based paint and so there is a high chance of it not lasting long. Every time it rained I would get cloudy blotches in the repair.

Thirdly, its water based paint and so there is a high chance of it not lasting long.

That's utter rubbish. All modern cars use water-based paints :rolleyes:.

If it's done properly it will be very hard to tell, however given a full bumper respary is about £250 then is it worth just getting a localised repair?

Anyone used Oops? I have for the odd dent removal on my boot lid, (which they sorted very well). They also managed to remove a couple of sratches seamlessly that I won in a local car park. :eek: (And before any one says, I spend at least half a day driving around trying to find the safest and most protcted place to park my cars and 99% of the time I come back to dent free scratch free car);)

They also do paintwork and wheel refurbishment, but I've not tried them. To be honest I'd rather pay for a "proper approved paint shop" to carry out any paintwork that needs doing on my cars, however that said, they charged £200 to paint a friend of mines BMW's rear bumper, and it didn't look too bad all things considered. Minor imperfections, but then you pays your money you take your choice.:)

Last edited:
May be worth checking to see if your local MB dealership offers SMART repairs:

How annoying is a small scratch, a scuff, a dent or a ding on your lovely Mercedes-Benz? It’s bad enough when you do it yourself. And it’s even worse if someone else does it. But now, if it happens, you can relax.

Your Mercedes-Benz Official Workshop now offers a quick, easy and inexpensive solution, to repair minor damage without the cost of removing panels or the hassle of having your car out of action for days.

Instead, simply book your car in for an appointment at our Small Area Repair Technique (SMART) workshop. They’ll sort out everything from a chipped windscreen to a torn seat, a cracked bumper to a dented wing – and have your Mercedes-Benz back to you as good as new, in next to no time.

I was very disappointed with my local Chips Away (Bishops Stortford). I had a scrape on the wing repaired and also an alloy wheel refurbished. The finish was so bad I called them back and although better the second time it still really isn't very good. I should really have either insisted they complete it to a higher standard or demand a refund, especially as they promised I wouldn't be able to notice the repair.

i have used them once for a rather large scratch on the rear arch (reverse parking in garage scraped a against the wall) and they have done a great job. It has been about 1 year ago now and it is well done (Milton Keynes area)

I've used them a few time before (Liverpool) and the results have been very good. In fact I was pleased enought to supply the number of the guy I used to a friend. However the last time my friend used the same guy (although he wasn't in a ChipsAway van that time) the quality of work was average. I suspect as others say the quality varies depending upon the franchise owner.

In my friends case I assume the guy either 'lost' his franchise or went it alone...

You really cant say as every single franchisee is different.

Chips Away really dont give a whole lot of structured training and all the ones I know have learnt at the expense of their first customers.

I have a guy that comes to us to do minor repairs and he is great but I wouldnt have them do full panels, a spray booth is required for anything more than a scuff.

I had them do my old car years ago. They were alright. But as others have said it really depends on the franchisee.

Had one do brilliant repairs to the wheels on my old WRX and all sorts of dinks dents scratches on the Mrs old Voyager including a miracle repair on both wing mirrors she "aerodynamically" modified - only to call the same guy and get his assistant do a really crappy job on wheels on a Lexus - some are very good - some are quite simply not. I normally take cars to Autobody in Isleworth for most repairs now including respray both sides of my w208 and cutting back rust in all 4 arches etc

Try to only go by recommendation. As Jay says, if they're new to it they'll really mess up your car.

i used the glasgow franchise and they were very good, painted the whole pannel not just the damaged area - but as other say everyone will be differnet so it will be done to their experience level etc. why not as them for some references of pleased MB customers?

That's utter rubbish. All modern cars use water-based paints :rolleyes:.

If it's done properly it will be very hard to tell, however given a full bumper respary is about £250 then is it worth just getting a localised repair?

Maybe to people who don't have a good eye for detail it would be hard to tell...

When cars are sprayed by a body shop they apply a thicker layer of paint. By the painters own admission, Chips Away use a very thin paint and only spray on the bare minimum to cover the repair and minimise the amount of blending required. As they only paint between the 'lines', by using a very thin layer you dont end up with a raised edge where they masked off the good paint. Down side this is not a very durable coating.

This point was proven further when I called the guy back as paint was not right and it took him all of 5 mins to sand off his old paint (it took him at least an hour to sand the original paint work).

Can you buy that in the UK? The only similar UK product I've found is stone chip repair kit but I've not tried it.

Unfortunately not. Works out around £55 delivered from the US, but for that you get enough paint and solvent to address many chips, multiple brushes and MF cloth.
IMHO well worth it.

Can you buy that in the UK? The only similar UK product I've found is stone chip repair kit but I've not tried it.

Just had a look at the Chipex website. Looks very similar, so maybe worth a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom