Chipsaway - any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andimids

Car
2001 CLK 230 Kompressor
Just picked up our new baby this week
2001 w208 CLK 230 Kompressor 94,000 miles
its in great condition and full service history - - no rust
But quite a few road chips on the leading edge of the bonnet
Does anyone have any experience of Chipsaway - price - quality etc

This isn't going to help but the answer is yes and no!

I have seen good and bad repairs from a few smart repairers including chips away. The repair is as good as the guy doing it. They did get better after customers complained, just check you are happy with the work.

Stone chips aren't too bad as you can visibly see if it is done right, it's when they stretch a panel after taking a ding out!

Believe it or not, Chips Away dont really do that well with Bonnet Chips... They are better with scuffs and scratches etc.

For a large panel like a bonnet you would be better using a proper bodyshop.

thanks jay
rang your place today as just got an engine management light popped on
cars running great - but coming in Monday to see if someone could have a look at it on star.
perhaps I might have a word with your guys re the stone chips at the same time

thanks jay
rang your place today as just got an engine management light popped on
cars running great - but coming in Monday to see if someone could have a look at it on star.
perhaps I might have a word with your guys re the stone chips at the same time

Yes you should pop up and see the bodyshop we use, only up the road from us.

For anything other than a bonnet I'd definitely recommend them having used them before. I believe most bonnets are double lacquered making it a lot more difficult to do a seemingly superficial repair

Believe it or not, Chips Away dont really do that well with Bonnet Chips... They are better with scuffs and scratches etc.

For a large panel like a bonnet you would be better using a proper bodyshop.

Agreed - I use the guy that does smart repairs for MB Central if I get a scuff, however, he won't do bonnet stone chips as he can't get a satisfactory result

I thought about using Chipsaway before but was put off when they brought up colour matching silver. I went to a MB approved bodyshop (before I had one :) ) and they were actually really competitive and the work was second to none.

So, from my experience, find a good bodyshop.

This isn't going to help but the answer is yes and no!

I have seen good and bad repairs from a few smart repairers including chips away. The repair is as good as the guy doing it. They did get better after customers complained, just check you are happy with the work.

Stone chips aren't too bad as you can visibly see if it is done right, it's when they stretch a panel after taking a ding out!

Totally agree here, it's how good & particular the repairer is!?

I once went to a Chipsaway open franchise day.

As apart of the presentation they keyed a front wing on a new Golf borrowed from local dealer & then repaired it in front of us, demonstrating the process.
A tubby Welsh guy ( one of there highly selected franchises , who had also had an editorial done of himself & his van in the franchise magazine that month , which we had been given copies of ) carried out the repair in somewhat environment that they would be in on a day to day basis.

Once the repair was complete , we were allowed to examine it & let just say I politely ripped it apart in front of him with numerous defects ...orange peel, huge amounts of contamination... The guy resented me for the rest of the day & I declined there " buy today offer with discount " & I left with a nice new Leather presentation pack.

The Lunch was really good tho! ;)

With the utmost respect for anyone who works for businesses with this core idea of mobile dent/scratch etc repair removal...

Only so much can be done mobile. For a decent result, good old fashioned bodywork indoors is needed.

I've used ChipEx and it works well although def do it indoors and when it's not freezing. The colour match on my metallic Mini Cooper was spot on as they match it to the colour code.

It's not as good as a body shop but way better than the standard touch up pens.

P.s. I guess you could wet sand it then machine polish it after it's had a while to harden ?

I took out the Mercedes Benz chip/dent insurance when I bought my car, and recently made a claim. They use Flying Colours who are part of Dentwizard Ventures, they did a good job on my rear bumper, tow bar hit :(

I took out the Mercedes Benz chip/dent insurance when I bought my car, and recently made a claim. They use Flying Colours who are part of Dentwizard Ventures, they did a good job on my rear bumper, tow bar hit :(

How much did this set you back if you dont mind me asking?

Is this something you can get on a car that isnt new?

Love your profile pic

How much did this set you back if you dont mind me asking?

Is this something you can get on a car that isnt new?

Love your profile pic

I've got it too, it cost about 450 I think. I doubt you can get it beyond initial purchase without them inspecting it (in case you start claiming for scratches etc. that were there prior to the policy

Bringing back to life this old thread but with a reason.
My pride and joy was dented by an ignorant a$$hole while parked at tube drop off. The dent (more like a stone chip) is on front arch and after sending the photo to a local Chipsaway technician I was told that he can make it look better but not perfect.
As it's really small will later polish make it look almost perfect? Your thoughts?

image-2744660860.jpg

I'd try a local bodyshop before making a decision.
If you get it "nearly" right you'll see it every day where others may not...

daveenty said:
I'd try a local bodyshop before making a decision. If you get it "nearly" right you'll see it every day where others may not...
I already see only that out of an entire car. Will know more next week when chipsaway tech comes to see it.

Well these chips away can be good or bad,my local one is not good,look for a recommendation guys on here have found good ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom