Chipsaway

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by brucemillar, May 11, 2017.

1. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Guys

A shout out here for Chipsaway (Dartford). Used them for the first time to repair several scratches on my wife's, metallic black, X5 (I know)

They came out on Monday to quote, and arrived yesterday in a very neat and well equipped van, to do the job. A fist class job from a nice, knowledgeable chap, who walked me round the car before, during and when he finished. Result = No visible paint work and a 1st class finish. Happy customer.

Two of the scratches were the dreaded 'kids handlebar' scratches along the rear passenger door. These were through the paint and very jagged and wavy. He stripped, prepped, primed and painted the entire panel between the swage lines. No orange peel and a great finish.

The price is good (I thought) and the ease of doing business at your home is a big bonus, Total time was around 2.5 hours.

11 people like this.
  2. Cymruambyth

Cymruambyth Active Member

Car:
    I`ve used them in the past Wrexham) and found them to be spot on. Shame my current problem is too big a job for them :(

3. poormansporsche

poormansporsche MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W209
    The one I used a few years back (not Dartford but not too far from it) fooked it right up.

"Can you pull that dent out without spraying it"
    "No problem"

Six hours later spraying a whole panel in the pissing rain whilst standing under a brolly I said enough and took to a proper bodyshop

4. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    :eek::eek:

5. KennyN

KennyN MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 440i Coupe
    I have always been a little suspicious of the results they claim , especially if painting outside.

I have a couple of chips on the rear bumper where the PO obviously wasnt listening to the bleeps of the parking sensors.

They will be too large for Chipex etc. and i was thinking about giving Chips Away a call to see what they say but have not seen any actual repairs.

Kenny

6. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    I did ask the chap that sorted the dents (paintless) on my car how do these 'smart repairers' paint cars outdoors - surely dust, moisture, and rain are an issue?

He said they use quick-drying paint, then assist the drying with hot air and UV lamp. So the paint hardens quite quickly.

But I wonder if there is a long-term downside to using 'quick-drying' paint?

7. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    On another note... I spoke to a few mobile repairers and it seems that most are in fact independent repairers who get work though the national chain after having been trained to the brand standard.

This pretty much means that the quality of repair is often down to the individual repairer and not necessarily to do with the national brand.

1 person likes this.
  8. such01

such01 Active Member

Car:
    E350 CDI W212
    That's good to know as they are my local agents too. I have a deep scratch on my boot lid and was considering getting the front bumper done at some point

9. martyz

martyz MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ClK240 209,190E 201.
    Have you got any before and after photos Bruce?

10. Conquistador

Conquistador MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2012 S350L BlueTec
    Can highly recommend them for wheel repairs too. Had two wheels with light kerb marks/scratches and they are as good as new now.

11. zipdip

zipdip MB Enthusiast

Car:
    s320
    All these chips away and other small repair guys can give great results,as always it pays to get a recommendation before you ring them up,not sure Bruce did that but it looks like he struck gold with the Dartford chips away,our local one is so bad I would not let him spay a kids bike.

12. Dave.tam

Dave.tam Active Member

Car:
    A250 AMG & W205 C250d Sport with Premium Plus pack
    It does seem to be hit or miss I'm afraid.

As Markjay said, it's down to the individual who does the work as they're all franchised.

I've had a very bad experience on my W204 with smart repairs through MBs minor damage insurance. I started a thread on it somewhere, but in a nutshell, after the smart repairer had three goes at it, MB agreed to paint in in their own body shop.

13. C43AMG

C43AMG MB Enthusiast

Car:
    500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ) 2014 Brabus Smart ( 451 Coupe ) Mapped 130bhp
    I'm fortunate, have used the same man on my S-Class on a couple of occasions, Very good.

14. Mercy Me

Mercy Me Active Member

Car:
    C63 AMG PP
    Most mobile car body repairers and bodyshops use water based paint, which is also used in the factory by car manufacturers.

It dries very quickly using a hair dryer / warm air blower (no difference from the factory) so there is no 'downside'.

The lacquer, or clear coat goes on top and is normally 'cured' using heat from infra red lamps. the process taking about 10 to 15 mins per panel. The only downside, working outside, is potential contamination from air borne debris / insects etc, which a competent mobile SMART repairer should be able to denib and polish out.

1 person likes this.
  15. w124nut

w124nut Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes W124 E320 cabriolet
    I have used Chipsaway on my wife's suzuki and had similar results to that of Bruce. I would recommend the franchise based in Taunton.

16. OP
    OP
    brucemillar

brucemillar MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    ......and they have nice pop up tents etc. You are 100% in your assessment of the work etc.

My chap stated up front what he could do well and what he would not do. He also pointed out what he could do that may be visible afterwards.

Can't be fairer than this.

outlook.live.com

1 person likes this.
  17. Mercy Me

Mercy Me Active Member

Car:
    C63 AMG PP
    If using a mobile car body repairer, check out how long they have been doing it for, as it takes several years to become consistently competent.

The ones that have been doing it for several years plus will generally be good and the poor ones would have gone under by then!

Ensure they have public and product liability insurance and check the length of the guarantee / warranty they provide.

Tags: