ChipsAway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian WH

MB Enthusiast
Car
JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
The ChipsAway boys were at my local supermarket today advertising their services and giving out leaflets.

I notice from a search that they get a mention occasionally but nobody seems to have tried them?:confused:

So has anybody used them and what was you opinion of their service?

For the record the Tel. No. is 01283 520203 or 07730 534351 Alan Ariss. This looks like a Burton-on Trent number, so must be their local rep.

I think ChipsAway is a franchise, there are different operators for different areas.

I have heard that they do a very good job as do the Dent Wizards, the thing I have heard is that because they don't and cant use the oven baked two-pack paints that it is not a permanent repair, the paint will eventually wear off.

I personally do not have any experience of this other than that my car started to develop chips and scratches after a couple of months so I suspect the dealer I bought it from had had it done.

We used 'chips away' (Sheffield) to repair a bumper scrape on a two month old E-class (company car). The guy was very good - franchised - and only charged £60 for a mornings work.

He used a filler, base coat and lacquer to repair the bumper. For health and safety reasons (so he claimed) they aren't allowed to use two-pack paint, but the cellulose stuff he applied still looks perfect many months later.

I can't see anything really wrong with not using two-pack paint. It's not that long ago that all cars were painted using 'standard' single pack paints.......

Paul G

clk bonnet chips

I USED A CHIPS AWAY FRANCHISE IN THE MANCHESTER AREA.COST ME £120 TO REPAIR BONNET STONE CHIPS,A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME,ALL THEY DO IS PAINT THE BASE OF THE CHIP WITH A SMALL AIRBRUSH.THE CHIP CAN BE CLEARLY SEEN ,I COULD DO BETTER WITH A SMALL ARTIST BRUSH AND A TOUCH UP STICK.WHEN I COMPLAIND TO CHIPSAWAY THEY TOLD ME TO TAKE IT UP WITH THE GUY WHO HAD THE FRANCHISE ,THEY WER NOT INTERESTED AT ALL.MAYBE I HAD A BAD EXPERIANCE BUT I WOULD NEVER USE THEM OR RECOMEND THEM TO ANYONE.THE FINAL STRAW WAS THE LAST TIME I PHONED THE GUY WHO DID THE SO CALLED REPAIR WHO TOLD ME TO GO AND F**K MYSELF AND STOP PESTERING HIM.

I used them roughly 3-4 years ago to fix a number of scratches on a K plated XR3i. It was metallic blue and they did a great job. Totally seamless and never had any problems.

Re: clk bonnet chips

Originally posted by mercmanuk
I USED A CHIPS AWAY FRANCHISE IN THE MANCHESTER AREA.COST ME £120 TO REPAIR BONNET STONE CHIPS,A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME,ALL THEY DO IS PAINT THE BASE OF THE CHIP WITH A SMALL AIRBRUSH.THE CHIP CAN BE CLEARLY SEEN ,I COULD DO BETTER WITH A SMALL ARTIST BRUSH AND A TOUCH UP STICK.WHEN I COMPLAIND TO CHIPSAWAY THEY TOLD ME TO TAKE IT UP WITH THE GUY WHO HAD THE FRANCHISE ,THEY WER NOT INTERESTED AT ALL.MAYBE I HAD A BAD EXPERIANCE BUT I WOULD NEVER USE THEM OR RECOMEND THEM TO ANYONE.THE FINAL STRAW WAS THE LAST TIME I PHONED THE GUY WHO DID THE SO CALLED REPAIR WHO TOLD ME TO GO AND F**K MYSELF AND STOP PESTERING HIM.

Have to agree . Took my C32 in for 3 stone chips on the bonnet, a total waste of time too. It does'nt look any better.
:( :( :(

Northants area not Manchester.

Seems like different operators have different standards, go to one thats recomended!!!

MW_C32.

How much did they charge u if u dont mind me asking or did u get a refund ?

I heard that Chips Away can charge upto £140 per panel - £65 per alloy (London area). I guess the costs per franchisee must vary as per previous posts....

The only advanatge of chips away I suppose are that they will prevent rust from occurring, and that u can also watch them carry out the work - if ur lucky u`ll get a good franchiee who will do a good job.... apparently I have been told that paint jobs on bonnets, trunk lids and roofs are difficult to match coz of the reflection of light etc...

Flash

Hi Flash
No refund. They only charged 50 squids plus vat.
I did not want to go back and have them try again. The ONLY reason I went in the first place is cause I was worried about rust occuring so that bit is fine.
I have a friend that has had some stone chips done on his car and he was very pleased so after the winter I will probly go to them.
Sorry don't know who but if I get it done I will post results.

Anyhow the beauty of a car thats metallic SILVER :D yes thats SILVER :D for all you who frown on a SILVER :D car is that these stone chips are harder to spot. :D :D
I have always had darker couloured cars that always showed up the stone chips and drove me mad but this SILVER :D one does'nt show up the chips but also it only looks dirty when I start to clean it. HeHe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom