Chisel Sharpening for Door hinge recesses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjamesbo

Car
CLK430 ,Vito V6 sport ,Jaguar 2.5 X type ,W124's 1993 220TE , 1994 320TE ,Mastercraft X5
After recommendations for sharpening my chisels I seem only to use them for chasing out the hinge recess on doors but they never seem sharp enough maybe because they were cheap but i would like to sharpen them and have bben looking at honing guides / kits and anything under £55-88 ( veritas ) seems to be poorly reviewed other option is top buy an old record or eclipse 2nd hand on ebay but I'm struggling as i dont really know what im looking at
any recommendations for me or pointer to whats good on ebay
Thanks
Boyd

Search youtube for Paul Sellers, his tips for chisel sharpening are brilliant.

I use a Stanley hone and oil stone and it's excellent, setting the angle correct is the most critical element of the job.

would that be this set up ?
most systems seem to struggle above 50% on the 5 star rating which in my mind isnt very good and in some cases the older products were better than the current

Treat your self to a couple of really good quality chisels like Narex Richter specifically for your hinge jobs. Don't use them for any hacking jobs and you will always have two chisels that will do the best job. Still learn about sharpening as they will need it occasionally. Cheap chisels will never keep a good edge.

most systems seem to struggle above 50% on the 5 star rating which in my mind isnt very good and in some cases the older products were better than the current

Mine is much like this,

probably is one, rebranded as Stanley. Basically so long as it holds the chisel firmly and you've set it in correctly so that the angle is right, then you're good to go,

Routers work, but care is needed and a good jig/guide. They're more useful to a professional door fitter as the set up time and cost is well justified. I have a router which has seen a lot of DIY work, but I still haven't invested in a hinge jig as I've probably only done two timber doors.

Routers work, but care is needed and a good jig/guide. They're more useful to a professional door fitter as the set up time and cost is well justified. I have a router which has seen a lot of DIY work, but I still haven't invested in a hinge jig as I've probably only done two timber doors.
Exactly this. For the occasional door a couple of chisels and a Stanley knife are perfect.

I'm off for a pint (or six) with my mate the carpenter in a minute , ill ask him , but he is an irascible swine so might just tell me to Fruck off. Not wanting to talk shop when on the Pi$$ 🍻 :p

I used to do mine on an oilstone with the guide shown on post #5. But I don't use them much these days.

I made my own jig for cutting hinge and lock recesses using my 1/4" router, not difficult. Router (with a decent plunge cutter) makes cutting the recess easy, as does the small special tool for squaring the corners of router cut recesses (which needless to say, I jave - but I also have a decent set of chisels).

I use the guide from this set with diamond sharpening stones Toolstation used to do a set of 3 - coarse, medium & fine

Just watched a youtube video on routing it out I like the look of that ! probably trickier than it looks but very neat and chisel of the round angle looks easier when the rest is level and flat I do have a router used it once about 10 years ago but i think thats the way i'm heading now but still need a sharp chisel for finishing it off watching the video i realise how poor my existing cheap chisels are so maybe get a couple for christmas but they will eventually need sharpening

Asked my carpenter mate in the pub last night - turned into a session 🤕 - He nearly always uses just a chisel (and 35 years of practice) unless the doors are new and hardwood , then the router comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom