Choices, not sure which way to go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought SL350's had a 12 month waiting list or something of that order? I would be sorely tempted to get one if I was in your position - in fact, I am sorely tempted, just can't afford it! Honestly reckon the SL is the nicest car (real world, e.g. not Zonda's) around at the moment.

Agree about M3 residuals - will probably end up moving mine on next year some time - will buy your SL350 off you when the AM turns up!!

Found the following C32 on Autotrader....

MERCEDES-BENZ C32 AMG, 04/02, 13000
miles, Jasper blue, electric screen, fully loaded, very fast remarkable car, FMBSH. £34,995 . ono.

According to www.mercedes.co.uk/amg , they start new at £45k.

Maff,
You know me.... I'm a SL man...........:D

But I do remember the RS6 estate passing us at "warp factor 9"
on the way to the German GTG... ;)

See you at this month GTG.

I am failing to appreciate the logic here...

Surely the rate of depreciation is highest during the first 3 years?

Also, I wouldn't trust the rock residuals claimed by the new SL. The inside line is that dealers have been putting in a lot of speculative orders hoping to catch a premium for selling without a wait. However, they have overestimated the market and you can now get a discount on the new SL if you are prepared to search.

This will dent residual values, and I don't think the current situation will hold up over the next few months.

If you really are concerned about residuals, buy an early or late 90's SL 500, fully loaded with goodies. The depreciation is minimal, and there are those that claim the build quality of the old SL was superior to the new one!

Well, I finaly made the decision today, and placed the deposit on a new SL350 for October delivery.

Slightly below list price, although not by much.

Looking forward to October/November!

Obsidian Black with Sand interior
COMAND
CD Changer
Parktronic
Automatic
Plus the standard options.

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Thanks for the advice!

...excellent choice Matt - very nice car - I'm sure you won't regret it !! :rock:

S.

Yay, congratz Matt :D I can't wait to see the pics of your "temporary stop-gap" :p on the gallery :cool:

S.

Sounds like its guna be a lovely car, in this weather the SL's are just perfect.

Just heard that the SL's from September production will have the following extra:

- DVD based COMAND
- SBC Stop, Hold and Softstop (slows when in traffic automaticaly, holds when at traffic lights automaticaly and softstop gets rid of that last bit of 'latch') Also available on the E-Class from Sept.
- Steering wheel gearshift controls for the 5 speed auto
- Auto folding wind mirrors when the door is locked
- New shape wing mirrors to reduce dirt collection??!

:bannana: :bannana:

Originally posted by Maff
Just heard that the SL's from September production will have the following extra:

- Auto folding wing mirrors when the door is locked

:bannana: :bannana:

I've been wanting to do this mod for ages - think it would be very cool - who knows how ?? :D

S.

The W211 has always had the soft stop.

Steering wheel gearshift controls would be really cool! So would DVD command :(

Here is some more detail on the new SBC features for the SL, E-Class and one other model that I can't recall. From AMG Forum...

SBC-Hold
This feature prevents the car from rolling back when standing at a rise or waiting at traffic lights, and therefore alleviates starting.

Operating the function :

The SBC-Hold feature gets activated through pressing the brake pedal a little harder for a short time.
The succesful activation is displayed through the multifunctional display in the models 211,240 and 230, indicating " SBC H "
With this feature the driver gains more comfort, not having to depress the brake pedal all the time.

Deactivating SBC-Hold:

The SBC-Hold system gets deavtivated by:

- starting through acceleration
- when the gear stick of the automatic transmission is moved to "P"
- depressing the brake pedal again until "SBC H" in the display disappears

!!!

There is a warning "Start braking immediately" indicated through the multifunctional display in the models 211,240 and 230 when
there is a door open or a system failure during SBC Hold is activated.

SBC-Stop

When activated, this funtion stops the car with a constant brake rate when throttling. There`s no need for having the brake pedal
depressed. When accelerating again, the brake process is stopped automatically.
This improves the driver`s comfort for example when caught in a traffic jam,because only the gas pedal is needed and the brake pedal has not to be depressed.

Operating the function:

The SBC-Stop function can be activated through the cruise control lever at speeds below 15 km/h.
Also this function is indicated in the multifunctional display.

Deactivating SBC-Stop:

- through the cruise control speed lever
- through engaging the reverse gear
- through moving the gearstick to "P"

!!!

There is a warning "Start braking immediately" indicated through the multifunctional display in the models 211,240 and 230 when
there is a door open or a system failure during SBC-Stop is activated.
The cruise control is still usable, therefore the SBC-Stop has to be deactivated.

I like the sound of the SBC-Hold feature, not having to keep your foot on the brake in traffic.

Originally posted by RichardM
I like the sound of the SBC-Hold feature, not having to keep your foot on the brake in traffic.

Fancy having to *still* steer though. What a pain! :rolleyes: :D

SBS stop thing sounds great......is it standard on the e class? and how come maff's saying it is available on the e class from september but richard saying that its already on the e class :confused:

i guess its like a really tiny, small, miniscule version of distronic :D

Richard mentions that SBC SOFTSTOP is already available.

But SBC STOP and SBC HOLD will be new from September onwards.

Hope this helps,

Matt.

oh right.....i gerrit :) thanks for clearing it.....

btw do you know if the hold and stop feature is going to be standard on the e class as well....? and u said september....is that from 1st of septmeber....

cheers
AkMaL

From what I have *heard* it will be standard on the new 2004 model year (which usualy starts September/October each year) on the SL and E.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom